Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Where to travel in June 2025? South America, Europe, or Southeast Asia

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the early stages of planning an approx. 14-day trip in June 2025. I will be traveling with a friend. We are both in our early 30s. We are both teachers and are limited to June/July travel due our school schedules. Im trying to determine where would be best to go that time of year.
We enjoy architecture, museums, food, outdoor scenery (mountains, lakes, forests, etc.), and hiking.
We are pretty active and move at a quick pace. Past trips together include Costa Rica, Slovenia/Croatia, and England.

We will probably focus on two countries. Some places we are considering:
  • South America - Peru (Amazon, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu), Columbia (Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena), Brazil (Rio De Janeiro, Iguaz˙ Falls)
  • Europe - Ireland (Dublin, Cliffs Moher, scenic drives like Ring of Kerry) and Iceland (Ring road)
  • Southeast Asia - Vietnam (probably northern/central), Thailand (Chiang Mai, beaches), Singapore
If there is a better forum to post in for a question like this, let me know. Most seemed continent/country specific.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 11:05 AM

It's not likely that anyone on this forum will be able to tell you where to travel this summer; they will mainly chime in with their personal favorites -- which perhaps is what you wanted. I myself am biased; as an avid Latin America traveller I fully approve of your considering South America. But then, as you might already have guessed from Costa Rica, many places in Latin America satisfy your requirements -- outdoor scenery and hiking; museums and architecture; a variety of rather interesting food; and a lot more (including more opportunities to get away from modern "horde tourism"). Also, as July travel in the Age of Global Warming is getting dicey, you may want to look more deeply into destinations in the high Andes, including the ones you're already considering. If high mountain trekking is your thing, also look into the area around Huaraz, Peru.
(Incidentally, while the Cusco-Machu Picchu area is a great area to visit, it is permissible to go elsewhere in this fascinating country. I know; I had five fantastic visits to Peru before seeing Machu Picchu for the first time!)

Last edited by Faedus; Jun 18th, 2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 05:15 AM

Perhaps I am dreaming, or it may have been another forum but I swear I answered this exact question a few weeks ago! Anyway, a few thoughts:

"We enjoy architecture, museums, food, outdoor scenery (mountains, lakes, forests, etc.), and hiking." . You can find all of these pretty much anywhere

Focusing on two countries is two weeks may seem like. good idea but I would check out the practicalities of getting from A to B especially in Asia and South America where distances can be vast and you will lose at least half a day of usable time every time you change locations.

Asia - Not the best time for Thailand, especially the north. Vietnam is a contender though any hiking in the north would likely be scuppered by heave rain at that time. The central region should see great weather - Consider Hue, Phong Nha Khe Be and perhaps Hanoi & Saigon

South America - great time of year for Peru and Colombia. I would focus on one though as two countries wug mean spreading your time too thinly. Peru is the easier of the tow in which to travel and the "standard" 2 week itinerary would cover Cusco, the Sacred Valley , Machu Picchu and perhaps Arequipa/Colca or the Amazon. Colombia, I would stick with Bogota and Medellin as bases and then do side trips from those cities (really loved the smaller towns and villages of Colombia )

You may find some ideas in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com just click on the destination tab for the appropriate country.

Sorry but I have never been to Iceland and only briefly to Ireland and then only on business trips.
My personal choice would be for South America - lots of hiking opps around the Sacred Valley . Huaraz is arguably even better hiking but it is in the other direction to Cusco. the roptions in the north are Chachapoya and Trujillo