Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Where to spend Christmas & New Year's Eve in Argentina

Old Oct 24th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am landing in Buenos Aires on December 23rd and I will be traveling for 3 weeks. I am wondering where I should spend Christmas and New Years. Since I am flying in and out of Buenos Aires, I don't plan on spending New Years in the capital, although I have heard that it is amazing there.

Where would you recommend that I spend Xmas and NYE? I have thought about going to the beach for Christmas. Does that make any sense? Can I make it to Miramar or Mar del Plata in one day if I leave on the 24th in the morning? Is there another place that you recommend I go if I want to spend it on the beach?

In terms of NYE, where would be the #2 or #3 place to party for NYE? Would it be Cordoba or Rosario? Would you recommend another place? I hear that they are both student cities so I wonder if they will be dead for NYE. I like to go to places where there is a good mix of travellers and locals. I wouldn't want to spend NYE where there is not a lot of people but I also wouldn't want to spend it with a bunch of bros and frat bros. Let's say I would be more up for spending NYE in Bucharest than in Paris for instance.
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 03:35 AM

Our experience over the years we lived in Buenos Aires was that everyone who can leave town over the holidays, does.
Stores are closed, nothing is going on , on Christmas Day it is impossible to even get a taxi ..Clubs are fun on NYE but it is still dead there, everyone is out of town.
I never went to Cordoba or Rosario .. we lived in Buenos Aires and that was enough for us lol
You won't be spending NYE with a lot of people in the city of BA ... all the people are out of town for the holidays.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:44 AM

Scarlett is right.

I would consider heading for Uruguay, more specifically Punta del Este and beyond, to party with Argentinians. You could also try the Pinamar/Cariló/Villa Gesell area or Mar del Plata if you want to stay in Argentina.

Yes, you can get to Pinamar/Cariló/Villa Gesell area or Mar del Plata in one day, it's some 4-5 hours, maybe more depending on traffic. There are buses too, and to Mar del Plata you can fly. Be sure to get the tickets early.

Difficult to say what would suit you as I very much prefer Paris to Bucharest so I don't really understand what you are looking for. I would never head for Rosario or Córdoba for NYE, and I very much doubt any Argentinians would either.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 09:40 AM

See # 4 on Fodor's "rule book": https://www.fodors.com/faq/joining.cfm#join3