Search

Montevideo or Colonia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montevideo or Colonia

Hi

We (DH and myself) will be on a cruise in January stopping in Montevideo for about 9 hrs.

One option is to wander around Montevideo on our own and the other is to take a guided side trip to Colonia at a cost of $300+. Is Colonia worth it? Any other suggestions as to how we spend our time?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pamela

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Hi, I know quiet well both destinations , do not go to Colonia.
It would be worth it if you would approach it from Buenos Aires.
My advice is, stay in Montevideo, if you are interest in Colonial buildings Montevideo has some nice Colonial Museums like the old Cabildo. Get yourself a guide book and you can do it on your own.In Old Montevideo there are some pedestrian streets which are pleasant and surely look for the best restaurant and have a great lunch. There is one called Panini that I found very nice in calle Bacacay in downtown.
Artisans sell the same hand made items both in Colonia and Montevideo so if you care for some shopping there is no problem. Otherwise you will be spending $300 plus precious time only to see a cute little Colonial town that is ok but nothing spectacular. You can of course hire a guide with a chauffered car which surely is going to cost you less and give you much more for your money.Please if you like ask me for more information.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Graziella,
I too have the same stop in Montevideo as well as Punta Del Este before stopping in Argentina. At the end of our cruise we will be taking a week in Buenos Aires and then Mendoza. Our cruise ends the first week of December, so along the way we will be taking care of Christmas shopping. My question is regarding values along the way. If I see something in Montevideo and buy it, will I be sorry because I'm about to see the same thing in BA for much less? Are you familiar with where the deals lie?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Hi Toddbrown,
You know I lived years and years both on Uruguay and Argentina. I go often to both countries because I have family in Argentina and Uruguay.
It is not easy to answer your question because it is difficult for an American
( I presume you are an American) to realize how works the economy of those countries both now under left oriented governments. Most likely they would do things we do not understand:
control prices, set maximum prices,redistribute wealth etc.
Nationalize the private retirement funds like they are doing right now in Argentina. That is why sometimes it is so convenient to buy things in this kind of countries but suddenly the situation might change 90 degrees.
Specially in Argentina, one day hotels are a bargain next day they are not.
Usually it is a better deal to buy in Argentina but now I am not that sure. Uruguay has good artisan products .
Hand made.
Because I am a woman I love their lingerie for women, hand made , that I have not even seen in Europe at great prices. Also hand made sweaters and many things sold in a place call Manos del Uruguay.
Uruguayans being a small country tend to be more polite in general and in some places there is this flavor of a smaller society less in a hurry etc.
Punta del Este is a world in itself it is a resort, an upscale resort . It is favored mainly by wealthy Argentineans and they own most of the fantastic houses, huge houses with perfectly kept lawns and lovely gardens. There everything is expensive. Shopping is geared to the wealthy and you can find beautiful items of well known international brands or locally hand made. Prices tend to be more expensive than in Montevideo but of course the choice being better makes it worthwhile to shop there.
Do I make any sense?

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Absolutely pedrfect sense. thank you so much for your time.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Make that PERFECT. Much unlike my speedy attempt at typing. And yes, I am American. Could you smell it?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Hi, it was not hard to guess since most people in this forum are Americans and most cruises that go to the River Plate are also American.
I am so happy that I was of some help.
Going to Colonia takes by car like 2 hours + so it does not make sense at all. Punta is closer probably 1 hour and a half, in December providing you have a nice day you could go for a swim. If I were you in Punta I would not take one of those bus tours instead I would reserve a taxi or make arrangements with a guide ahead of time.Private ride could be share with another couple.
The beauty of it is that the taxi can take to a beach , wait for you, may be you choose to have lunch in a restaurant by the beach.( The taxi should know)
In Montevideo I know a very good company to hire a car with driver and it is reasonable like 10 to 12 dollars per hour.(Name Remise La Española) In Punta I do not know and I am not sure if there are enough taxis in the whole place.
May be you can find something in the internet and make a reservation ahead of time and settle a price for the time you are in Punta.
The flexibility of doing what you wish is priceless. On the other hand tours from cruise are always over priced.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Graziella,

How would I contact Remise La Espanola to hire a car and driver for our time in Montevideo?

Thanks Pamela
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Hi,
this is the phone number I have for Remise La Española in Montevideo from US 011 ( 598 2 )622 2323
from Montevideo 622 2323
I was looking in the internet for a webpage but I could not find it although they are a large remise company for Uruguay.
Instead I found the web site of another remise company that I am also familiar with, called
Remise Carrasco, www.remisescarrasco.com.uy
Probably it would be simpler for you to get in touch with them, they seem to be more used to deal with foreigners. I am looking at their rates which are
$295 pesos per hour, including 15 kms, over that they charge 20 pesos por each kilometer.
Roughfly it is like a dollar per km after the first 15 per hour plus over ten dollars per hour.
THis is what I am reading , the web is in English too so the best would be to check ahead of time with them. As well as double check rates.
Hi Pamaela, I think they charge a bit more for Mercedes Benz Cars but they cars are always nice and clean and drivers are very polite and nice.( You can see the cars they use in their website)
In summary, I would forget La Española and focus on Remises Carrasco.
( Carrasco is an up scale neighborhood in Montevideo nice to visit too, there is a nice boutique hotel, where I usually stay called Beltmont House, nice for having tea there or a meal. It is a small hotel, among its guests Senator CLinton, Prince of Wales, Luciano Pavarotti etc
Hope you have a good time. ( I know about this hotel because the Manager is one of my nieces and I know the owners too)

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Cont. Hi Pamela again, Remise Carrasco is around the corner from the Beltmont House . Remises Carrasco might even be able to suggest an itinerary. I am almost sure that you can hire them for much less that whatever the Cruise Line offers and what a difference to be the master of your own time.
If you have any questions I shall be happy to give you my opinion. Buen viaje.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Hi ,
just returned from BA and Colonia. (we are from Colorado) while Colonia was beautiful and quaint- there is no way it is worth $300 (USD?) on a one-day stop. I didn't go to Montevideo, but I am sure there is plenty there that would be interesting - unless you want to be in a car during your time off of the cruise ship.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Bookmarking
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM

I thinks $300 is too much for a side trip to Colonia which has a rather small historic area. While in Montevideo visit the Old City and the Puerto Mercado which has lots of open grill restaurants.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM

300? is that what the ship charges you>? Ships excursion for me are out of reality. They are so greedy. I seldom take cruises but the couple times I have done it , instead I have gotten a taxi at the port and done it on our own, much better for a fraction of the cost.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Hi, i'm from Portugal and i'm going to Buenos Aires for 8 days next Sept. Can you give me some information about restaurants (medium prices), where to go for do some shops (clothes), places to visit.....and if there are any excursions outside BA (Ex: perito moreno; iguaçu or Montevideo). Thanks.
Miguel
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Hi Miguel, Why don't you start a new topic? Maybe title it; 8 Days in Buenos Aires in September...Need Advice!

Be sure to list it under South America Forums. Or, click on my name, and look at the posts I have been reading. There is lots of information there. Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM

i need an information about where to buy these lingerie hand made in montevideo. and if anybody has any tip for the city we will be there for three days
thanks.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM

e mail : [email protected].

phone ask for mrs. Verita Phone is 011-598 2 601 24 73.

good luck they have beautiful thngs at really great prices.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM

just got back to the states from s.a.while there we spent 2 nites in colonia,3 near punta and 1 nite in montevideo. i would not pay $3oo to see colonia. i would think spending more time in montevideo would be better. also a trip to punta, if you want to see more than the city, or a tour of close by wineries. enjoy your trip.