Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What not to miss in Argentina with one week available?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be going to Argentina in early March and stay for two weeks. One of the two weeks we'll spend in B.A. dancing the Tango (love that city) but we don't know what to do during the second (or first) week. The wine coutnry would be nice that time of year (any harvest festivals?) but when and where in the wine country, and then what else to see? Driving to/from Mendoza probably consumes most of a week. Any suggestions as to what to see on the way or what route to take?
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Hey, mendoza is great, but I prefer patagonia. It's probably the most beautiful part of Argentina (i've heard salta is nice too, but i've never been) and is great for visiting in all seasons. Also, iguazu falls is a must-see.

if you are looking for stuff to do in BA for a few days-a week, check out this trip report i wrote a while ago. it is good for travelers who will only be in the city for a short time. Enjoy!

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...trip-to-ba.cfm

Cheers!
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Messifan, I just read your report and found it highly useful and interesting. What is a parillada, and what's Floralis Generica? ...would like to know to encounter when I'm in Buenos Aires in October. Muchas gracias!
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd vote for the NW -- click on my name to read our trip report this past November. Ig Falls are spectacular and combing them with the NW would be fantastic.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Can you tell me where you plan to go tango dancing. We are looking to learn Argentinean Tango. We do ballroom but have not done that yet. Will take some preliminary lessons before we go in Feb. Thanks. Carol
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

It's harder then it looks. Totally different principles than Ballroom. Try youtube and type in Sacada desde el Sanguchito.
We met this nice couple in B.A. and they are good: luisygabriela.com. They work in the de la Rosa studio. If you live in the SF Bay Area, there is a Tango week coming up early July. Intensive training.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

By the way Carol, I need to warn you, Argentine Tango is addictive. It cost us about $500 just to learn that distinctive walk. In ballroom, control is shared 50%/50% between the leader and the follower. In Argentine Tango it's 80%/20%. In that "Sacada desde el Sanguchito" video, the woman crosses her legs at 3:35 minutes. She had no choice... Dario made her do it. That's the difference. And if the leader doesn't know how to control the dance, then the learning process is more difficult.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh one more thing Carol, don't even think about showing up for a Tango lesson without having first made a visit to the Comme Il Faut shoe store in B.A. 4" to 5" heels are pretty much mandatory.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:45 AM

AndreaO:

Iguazzu Falls is an experience like no other. The Argentinean and Brazillian sides offer different perspectives - both incredible.

It sounds like you might want to peruse a good guide book and then narrow your search. I love Buenos Aires in March - I envy you the fun of the search and the visit.

Enjoy SA, ~MarnieWDC
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Eddwarm- glad i could help! You should be very excited for your trip in October, you are going to have a great time (it's impossible not to)!

As for your questions- the "parillada" is a traditional platter of Argentine asado (bbq). It normally has 2 kinds of sausages, tira de asado (ribs), chicken and a whole bunch of other parts of the cow that we normally wouldn't eat (sweetbreads?). even if you are not one to normally eat that kind of thing, it is an argentine tradition and a great thing to try. My first time i was very skeptical, but now i love it!

Also, Floralis Generica is a really cool statue in BA in the middle of a very nice park. It's a great place to go and take pictures, but also to relax and sip on some mate and let the day pass by. here is some more info (in spanish, but with a picture): http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floralis_Generica

Anyways, let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM

AndreaO
One week in Buenos Aires and the second in
1Iguazu + Salta or
2Iguazu + Calafate or
3Iguazu + Mendoza.
Dont ever think about driving your car to Mendoza ! No sense when there are excellent night coaches. March is excellent in the 3 destinations being Iguazu the must in the 3 packages.
milla
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Do not miss the NW, the landscape is wonderful, although some people say it is gorgeous, others say it is beautiful. Come and see... YOU will NOT regret.
Flintstones
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM

we loved our time recently in mendoza....took the lux bus there from BA, less than 14 hours---first class seating including dinner and breakfast---1/3 the cost of flying...

great new sheraton in mendoza, and also a hyatt, but we loved our B&B---plaza italia B&B... four days is a good amount of time there....
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM

We spent three months in Argentina last year and missed loads!! The highlight for me was the North West around Salta. Iguazu was also good and was the Valdes Peninsualr (to see the whales) although this is a very long way to go in a week!). My biggest regret was not going to Calafate and the glacier region. As has been pointed out by previous poster, using teh excellent bus services not only save money but also time by travelling overnight - vastly preferable to the v.expensive airfares
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Wel, Crellston, ou saw a lot, do not regret you can come back... ;oD!
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Do not miss Iguazú, unforgettable experience and it takes 2 or 3 nights to see the main things
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great input. All good ideas. We're debating. One observation was that, looking at the pictures on Google Earth, most of the pictures could have been taken in California. And some pictures of Iguazú could have been at Niagara Falls. We're probably jaded... California is a hard act to follow. Based on those pictures, Mendoza doesn't even look as good as the Napa and Sonoma wine areas.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, there are similarities to the USA - I've been to Niagra Falls and it can't compare to IF other than both being waterfalls. And the SW of USA is not unlike NW Argentina. However, again the NW Argentina is more dramatic and of course, the culture is very different. Haven't been to Mendoza so can't comment on that area. As a frequent visitor and one who loves CA, I will be very surprised if you don't find Argentina very different from CA.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM

It's true there are similar landscapes but as yestravel said, Niagara falls can't compare to Iguazú. We have 275 falls, whilst Niagara has only 3. Nature is all over, from the moment you enter the National park you will see the red land (literally red, like the colour of bricks), the amazing fauna from coatis, colourful butterflies to bencejos (birds that live under the falls). Besides the park is enormous!!! from the plane you can see a huge mass of green area, with red lines in the middle (the roads) and the most important fall of all: the Devil's Throat. To give you an idea of how huge the Park is I can tell you that the main means of transport is the ecological train...
I'm an Argentinian citizen so I will always vote for you to come to our falls! Anyway, it's up to you. I hope I've helped you picture the scenery so you decide to come
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

sofi_2506: I want to see all of Argentina, no question about it. In fact, I'd like to sell my villa and buy two apartments, one here and one there, and spend October thru March in Argentina and April thru September in California. For this upcoming trip we are now leaning toward exploring B.A. in some depth and taking day trips, like spending a day and buying a Capybara goucho belt with a silver ornament from some silver smith in San Antonio de Areco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -