visiting Rio and Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling with my daughter (15) to buenos aires on 3/28 - afternoon- and leaving out of Rio on 4/5 evening which gives us 8 days total. I need to book a flight between the two cities. I think I should stay in Buenos Aires longer but don't know the following:

Should I rent a car in either city?
Should I stay 5 days in BA and 3 in Rio? Seems right.
Is it easy to get outside the city in BA to see estancias?

Any advice on what to see would be helpful...thanks, Christine
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Hello ChristineB,

You should not rent a car in Buenos Aires. Others will respond about Rio.

The days/split sounds OK.

You can take a day trip to an Estancia from BsAs - they will provide transportation [for $$] or you can take a bus or Remis to some of them. Some good, reasonably located Estancias to check out:

El Ombú
Los Dos Hermanos
La Candelaria
La Bamba

You could spend all of your days in Buenos Aires and not be bored - especially with a day or overnight to an Estancia.

Have fun.

~MarnieWDC
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM

We have done this same trip a couple of times. With our pre teen children. Both cities are terrific. It depends, to some extent, as to whether you are beach people. If so, add a day or two to Rio. Ipanema beach is just not to be missed. Spending a day, or days there, sitting on the beach, watching the world go by, is great. Stay only in Ipanmea or Leblon, not Copacabana. Terrific food in Rio also, and good strolling in Ipanema and good shopping. If possible, you can also see a football game there at Maracana stadium. Great tourist sites too. The estancia in BA is also terrific for a day trip. BA really is much like Madrid, etc., with outstanding strolling, shopping and plazas, etc., while Rio you still feel like you are at a beach city. Rio should be warmer in No doubt however you split up the time you will be happy.

Do not rent a car in either city. Taxis are everywhere and inexpensive. For travel between the two cities look at TAM and also GOL Brazil airlines. Both are equal options. See if they have some good fare sales. Depending on where you are flying from, if you can fly to Rio or Brazil from you starting destination with TAM, you may be able to purchase a triangle fare for not much more money. Or, look at flying into BA and out of Rio on American. Sometime those flts can be had for a good price. Then just book a one way between Rio and BA. If you have limited time I would opt for a tour in both cities. You will cover a lot more ground and get a lot more information.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM

I'll get back to you later with some suggestions, but right now the following recommendations are in my brain. There is a fare where you can do both cities without paying an additional price. I can't remember the exact name but it has something to do with "trunk or luggage fares." Any travel provider will know to what I am alluding.

If my April trip to BsAs goes, I plan to fly from Miami to BsAs onward to Rio de janeiro and back to Miami without paying any additional fare rates. I think I'll do this via TAM Airlines, one of Brasil's premier airlines. ...have flown it previously to and between both countries of mention and have appreciated the service.

As others have said, take taxis in both cities. Make sure they are metered and that the meter is turned on. Don't worry about tipping as this is not the norm in either country. Tip if the driver has done something that warrants this. Have small bills in both cities; taxi drivers don't deal with large bills. Leave the extra coins with the driver to round out the fare. This is done on his part as well as the riders. It makes everything so much easier.

I'd do tours if I were you since there are two females traveling together. As a man who has been a solo traveler-- at times-- that is what I have done. I've had my own private guide in both cities mentioned. My BsAs guide has been Marcelo, but my guides in my favorite city of Rio de janeiro was procured through a travel agency. The independent rates have been reasonable, too!

As for Rio do more than the beach scene. Do a city tour (with a group) for orientation. Go to that jewelery store with begins with an "H"-- (name escapes me). Do the independent (free) tour; then consult with the assistants about the gems. If you don't plan to purchase any jewelery, that is all right because the experience itself is phenomenal. Go to the gift shop there for perusal and/or to buy a few things of interest.

Do take in The Plataforma Cultural Show without dinner. I've seen the show twice and found it to be a rewarding experience. It's Brasilian history and culture in music and dance. ...very colorful and well-executed. ...somewhat glitzy, but I found this feature to be acceptable with me. ...will do this again if my trip materializes later this year.

I'll write more within a few days because I love both of these cities.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM

You could spend all your days in either city, they are both amazing! Had you thought of dividing the time equally?

There's lots to see in Rio: the historical centre, the beaches, Sugar Loaf, Christ the Redeemer, a Samba School practice, Santa Teresa, Museum of Contemporary Art Niteroi, the Botanical Gardens, the Cathedral and lots more.

As others of said don't rent a car, there's an underground metro in both cities, plus buses and cheap taxis.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Hey!

I would stay 5 days in Rio because tehre much more things to do and to see and 3 days in Buenos Aires. In Rio is a good deal to rent a car but in BA, I don´t think so. Th esubway is big and taxis are really cheap! p.s: In BA only taxi taxis with "radio taxi" slogan

Enjoy your travel!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:10 AM

Can you please tell me why Ipanmea or Leblon, not Copacabana?
thank you
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM

What is Estancias?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Never been to Rio, but I believe Ipanema and Leblon are safer and nicer than Copacabana.

Estancias are local ranches.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM

In regard to Wilwood03;s queries: Some folks feel that these two areas are safer, but for me, all seven of my stays have been in Copacabana where I have felt self. I've been to the other two areas which are seemingly clearer and more upscale, and if I were to have gone to Rio de janeiro in April of this year of 2010, I might have opted to stay in Ipanema to get a different perspective.

Again, DO NOT rent and drive in either city unless you want to have a heart attack!