Visiting Brazil more than six moths in calendar year and marriage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During this year, 2010, I have been in brazil a total of 4 2/3 months and plan to return sooner than three months of being outside and having returned to usa. I am getting married during my stay, to a Brazilian national. my current usa passport expires in april 2011, but my brazil visa is good for four + more years (I understand i can travel with both passports and the first one still has time left as for the brazil 5 year visa) i would renew it in brazil, of course, with new married name, to come together back with husband to visit usa. Q. can I enter brazil this year and can my return ticket be for more than 6 months in advance, or will I have problems entering brazil with a return ticket that would put me at more than 6 total months in the current calendar year? Also can my return ticket be for a date after my present passport expires?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Furthermore, I did go to gig airport and policia federal gave me another three months from the date of me asking for a new visa (cost was about $R67), but I did so two weeks before the first visa would have expired and hence, I was not given a complete six months; then I ended up leaving at 4 2/3 months to be able to visit home before my wedding. When I was given the second three month visa, the officer told me that i would simply have to leave the country in order to re enter, suggesting a neighboring country, but was not clear if I could come back and if I would get another complete three months visa. Then i have heard from numerous others, that they don't really care in brazil if us citizen stays over six months, that they get a fine to pay upon leaving. In my case, will it matter if I am getting married?
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM

As I understand it the rules regarding your visa is tht it allows you into Brazil for up to 6 months (that is by getting your three month stay extended for another three months, as you did) but then you must be out of the country for at least 6 months before you can return. It is not possible to simply cross over into another country and step back in - not for an US citizen with a Brazilian visa. This may be possible for people from some other countries (I don't know, but it would explain the poor advice you got from the Federal Police) but I am confident it is not possible in the case you are describing.

But better to get clarification from the Brazilian office issuing the visa than a travel board, just to be SURE.

Congratulations on your marriage and good luck!

jim
http://qualidadedevida-jim.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Jim, for your information, and of course, i will ask these questions to a brazilian office. Yet, I would like to ask, what if I didn't not stay an total straight six months during the two consecutive visas, can I still re-enter during the same year, or before being outside Brazil six months?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

Why not renew your US passport before you go back? Many countries won't let you in if your passport expires less than 6 months after entry, and if it expires even sooner, not good.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:26 AM

As I understand it, once you leave the country you must be outside the country for 6 months before you can return. This would be independent of whether or not you consumed all 6 months that were possible during your previous visit.

As you pointed out, if you submit for a visa renewal for an additional 3 months - and it is approved - it is extended for three months beginning the day of the approval and not tacked on to the end of the original three month period. The Federal Police are not preoccupied with maximizing your options (although perhaps we wish they were). For us, coming and going as frequently as possible is of concern. For the Federal Police -- not so much.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you three, Jim, Wanderer, and Jimeluiz for your input.

As for keeping this discussion enlightening, and to provide helpful information for others who may raise this question, or similiar, I wanted to add that I was finally able to get an answer, from a person in the Miami Brazil Consulate (got their number on a web page search; I called the number and listened to a long message *regrarding applying for a Visa; then it finally allowed customer service, for 'Visa press 2').

He said the max time for US citizen to be in Brazil in a year is up to 180 days, and he said for me to re-enter would be to do so with flight arrival and departure as to not put me as staying beyond total 180 days in a year. I had emailed every single Brazil Consulate and the Embassy in DC, and now finally spoke to someone. My emails remain unanswered. My fiancee is still trying to ask on his end, because we wish I could return sooner, and of course stay, but I would not want to be in jeopardy of becoming a tourist who has overstayed a Visa. The man at the Consulate had also said that there is no exception, even if i am getting married, because I am entering with a tourist status.

So, if anyone happens to read this discussion and has any valid information to contribute, please add. Thank you.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM

HI...how did you solve yr problem. I am facing a similiar one.
My future husband (german citizen) stayed for 179 days of 180 and i don't know if could come for the marriage and get some aditional days. He stays abroad for 2 months.
someone can help me?
best regards
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM

A maximum of up to 180 days (including a 90 day renewal with the PF) in any year is allowed commencing from the date the visa is activated, ie the date someone enters Brazil.

So,if your future husband entered on June 30 he has a maximum of 180 days (90 + 90). If he uses all of the 180 days he will not be able to re-enter Brazil until June 30 the following year.

Unless your noivo is able to return on another visa category, business, student etc you will have to change your wedding plans. He will need to be in Brazil for some time before the wedding anyway as the paperwork required for a foreigner to marry in Brazil is quite extensive.

good luck.