Typhoid Vaccination for Iguazu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my plans to get a Yellow Fever shot and the Public Health Dept. suggested I get a Typhoid vaccine as well. I will be in Iguazu for two nights the first week in January. Never heard anything about needing that until now. What do you think?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM

I always keep my Typhoid jabs up to date (every 3 years). IMHO it is necessary for travel just about everywhere. The old style vaccines used to give me bad flu like symptoms for a day but the newer vaccines I hardly noticed. I think it s generally transmiited as a result of poor sanitation and food hygeine standards so better safe than sorry.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM

www.mdtravelhealth.com Argentina

correct info from Travel MD

not needed as long as you will

be eating/drinking in hotels

Would not take it if you do there are 2 options.

The oral vaccine is approved for travelers at least six years old, whereas the injectable vaccine is approved for those aged two or above.The efficacy of both vaccines appears comparable, generally 50-70% in different studies. Boosters are recommended after five years for the oral vaccine and two years for the polysaccharide vaccine.

So for me not needed as long as I am careful with food water.

Only 50-70% effective...
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We are staying at Panoramic Hotel in Iguazu (nice hotel) for two nights. Will probably make one or two trips to see the falls. But again, we are there during the summertime. I definately think the safer than sorry route is a good one, but which vaccine would you do? Oral or injection?
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM

No guarantee that food workers in hotels follow good handwashing practices

If you can afford the jab why not?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:28 AM

I agree about staying up to date with vaccines whether I have immediate travel plans or not. That way, if I want go to a place where the disease might be a problem, I'm set.

The oral typhoid vaccine gives you five years of protection, as opposed to three years with the injection. The oral form is a prescription of four capsules. You take one capsule every other day over a period of seven days. They need to be refrigerated. Most pharmacies wouldn't automatically stock the oral vaccine, but they should be able to order it for you in a couple of days. The product is called Vivotif Berna. If they don't know, you can tell them. I just got my five-year update a few months ago. My prescription insurance covered it except for my copay. I checked the cash price without insurance and it was about $50. This was at a pharmacy in the Midwest.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. I will be getting it next week at our local public health dept. with my tetanus and Yellow Fever vaccine. I don't know if my insurance will cover it, because it's elective.I hear that you get a bit sick after the Typhoid vaccine or pills. Did you?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM

I've never felt sick after getting the typhoid vaccine. Soem people do, but just a little bit.

I'd hope your insurance would at least cover your tetanus booster. That's not elective. That should be routine for everybody.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Agreed! Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Whoa....the plot thickens....Turns out that I was researching a drug I take, Tapazole, for Hyperthyroidism. It strongly states that I should not get a live vaccine or be near anyone who has had one. Hmm. I guess I'll call the public health dept. tomorrow to figure this out.