Trip to Peru and the Amazon in January for 10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 21 year old daughter are planning a trip to Peru. We intend on going through Orient Express and the trip takes us to JW Mariott in Lima, Monasterio Hotel in Cusco, Sacred Valley, then on to Machu Pichu at the Sanctuary Lodge. We are then scheduled to take a luxury cruise on the Amazon for 3 days with Aqua Expeditions. Does any one have any comments on this trip? It has come in a bit pricey so I was also wondering if there were places any one thinks we could pare down so the cost is not so high. Also any recommendations as to things we must see, restaurants, shopping or anything else to recommend I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM

Just wondering if you are aware that January can be one of the rainiest months in Peru. Would be a shame to book an expensive tour and have terrible weather.

Lima of course gets no rain but feels muggy in January.

Any chance of going a different time? April and May, June?
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Actually I did not know that. We are going in January as my daughter is off from school. I actually thought it was their summer???
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM

Because it is so close to the equator, weather in Peru is really more defined by rainy season and dry season, and by elevation. It will be warmer and wetter in January, cooler and drier in June=September. The peak season for trekking is in these cooler, drier months.

It can vary quite a bit from year to year, El Niño and all that.

The first year I went to Machu Picchu in January, the weather was not really that bad. It rained heavily in the afternoons but the mornings were okay. However the following January, the train tracks in Aguas Calientes washed away!

It rains year round in the jungle, but there are high water months. As long as there is not flooding, and your flights arrive more or less on time, high water is not a bad time to visit the Amazon. You are closer to the canopy and travel times are shorter.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM

It would cut your costs if you didn't go with Orient Express - the hotels are very expensive (we stayed at Sanctuary Lodge in 2006 and it was over $800 night then). There are other less expensive options and you will still have a wonderful time.

Or prioritize your luxury - maybe keep the luxury cruise but downgrade the hotels in Cusco and Aguas Caliente? Or ask them if it includes the Hiram Walker train (which is very expensive) and take the regular train?
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 08:56 AM

I am curious as to why OE is putting you at the JW Marriott in Lima when they have their own amazing hotel? Seems odd. Great trip. OE is the best of the best. Expensive? Yes. But you won't regret it. I agree that weather could be tricky but weather is always tricky in Cuzco and the Amazon.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:41 AM

Harry61 - trying reading the terms and conditions of this site. Advertising is not allowed
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

bsteele09 We have decided to book the trip with Orient Express. Apparently the OE hotel in Lima is under construction so they replaced it with the JW Mariott which is supposed to be beautiful???? The only place we cut costs a bit was to do the Vistadome train one way and Hiram Bingham the other way. Do you think I am making a mistake doing that?