Traveling to Fernando de Noronha from Bahia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get to Fernando de Noronha from Bahia? My husband and I are now forgetting Sicily (too cold in March, restaurants & hotels closed) and thinking more seriously about Brazil. We think Trancoso and Caraivo in Bahia, and then go out to the island Fernando de Noronha for the "best beaches in Brazil!" - http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...-brazil-top-10 . Anyone know how to get out to Fernando de Noronha? Is there a boat that we could take?
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

After reading articles sent by other Fodors readers, I'm falling in love with the idea of Trancoso. Would love to combine Trancoso with a traip to Caraiva (a more secluded and beautiful beach, I've heard) and with the island of Fernando de Noronha. My only reservation: Is Fernando de Noronha too difficult to get to??? I dont want to spend $1,000 to get to another beach!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

After reading articles sent by other Fodors readers, I'm falling in love with the idea of Trancoso. Would love to combine Trancoso with a traip to Caraiva (a more secluded and beautiful beach, I've heard) and with the island of Fernando de Noronha. My only reservation: Is Fernando de Noronha too difficult to get to??? I dont want to spend $1,000 to get to another beach!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Trancoso is a truly delightful spot. Bears no relation to Miami. Silly post.

To get to Fernando de Noronha from Bahia you will need to fly to Recife, which will probably mean transiting via Salvador. Flights from Porto Seguro - Salvador are relatively expensive. You may want to consider the overnight sleeper bus and then fly from Salvador to Recife. Recife and Olinda are well worth visiting anyway so plan a day or two there. Webjet usually offer the cheapest fares through to Recife from Salvador.

FdeN is a very expensive spot to visit.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh really? Ok well maybe then we'll just visit Trancoso. What about doing Trancoso and the nearby island of Boipeda. I read that island is very beautiful also. If you had to choose, would you go to Recife and Fernando de Noronha -OR- Trancoso and Caraiva and Boipeda?

Maybe Brazil is too expensive . . . ?
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Brazil is not a cheap destination to visit that's a common misconception but I'd say it's worth every penny.

If I had to choose? Tough choice. I'm fond of Recife because it has an extraordinarily rich music and cultural scene. Olinda is lovely. But if you want beaches you'll be sorely disappointed.

Trancoso is wonderfully laid back for much of the year despite the celebrity cachet. I suppose it all comes down to your tastes, not mine.

BTW Boipeba is not 'nearby' to Trancoso, unless you consider what would be the better part of an 8 hour drive plus a boat trip nearby. It's not even that handy to Salvador. This site will give you more detail.

http://www.ilhaboipeba.org.br/en/boipeba.html

Part of the attraction has been that it's been largely overlooked by the mass tourism market to date but it's not the easiest place to get to, you need to budget the better part of a day to get to Boipeba even from Salvador.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM

I'm falling in love with the idea of Trancoso as well.