Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Travelers insurance in Patagonia - need it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Planning to travel to Argentina in March and spend a week hiking in Patagonia (El Calafate (incl glacier trekking), El Chalten, Ushuaia).
Any recommendations on how necessary travelers insurance is for these areas?
If you recommend it, have any companies in mind?

Thank you!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 02:16 PM

It would be very recommendable. The park is very remote and can't offer much more than first aid. I don't have any particular company to suggest.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Any recommendations on how necessary travelers insurance is for these areas?<<

Insurance isn't so much a function of <i>where</i> you are going, but what your costs are and what you can afford to lose.

A good place to start is insuremytrip.com It doesn't sell insurance - its a site where you can compare/contrast various policies depending on the type of coverage you want.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of insurance? I don't travel anywhere without medical and medical evacuation/repatriation insurance. I live in the US and buy mine from Seven Corners. I understand that if you live in the UK travel insurance is much cheaper...
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:30 PM

"how necessary is travel insurance for these areas" impossible to answer. In the UK approx 80-90% of people travel with comprehensive travel insurance, some for individual trips, some with annual multi trip policies, many household insurance include the cover for "free". It is cheap in the UK. Depending on age, an annual policy covering multiple trips would cost around £100. A single trip, maybe less than £10.

Where you travel is but one of the risks involved, what activities you partake in, your age and current health are just as, if not more, important.

If you can guarantee that you won't, become ill on vacation, need to fly home for a family emergency, fall down a crevasse in the glacier and need rescuing, all of which will have signicant costs attached to them. You don't need insurance. If you can afford to meet the cost of those events yourself or perhaps your medical insurance will cover you, then you may decide you don't need insurance. Do check out he costs because some can be very significant.

You don't provide your nationality so it is not possible to suggest an insurance provider. If you have price comparison sites where you live then that is a good place to start.

Insurance works on the prinicple of lots of people paying premiums and never claiming so the insurer can pay the claims of those unlucky people who have to. So, in the immortal words of Clint Eastwood " are you feeling lucky?"
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Insuremytrip.com was the way to go to find a package.