Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Tipping Guides in Buenos Aires Who Deliver "Free" Tours!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In April I will be making my fourth trip to Buenos Aires. For orientation and renewal, I plan to do the bus tour where one hops on and off; I also plan to do selective free tours given by Cicerones and another nonprofit, volunteer organization. Although neither charges any fee, what type of gratuity should I give my guides (pesos). I do want to be in line as others who have previously engaged the services of free guides.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

What's the appropriate donation? Please help me!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM

For most walking tours that are good

I give $5/hour but there is no one "appropriate" donation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicerones_de_Buenos_Aires

contact them for more info.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM

I don't think there is a "right" answer.

I have used Cicerones twice. The first time I tipped 45 pesos - which was about 15 USD at the time.

The second time, I think I tipped a bit more but can't remember. The guide spent more time with us.

The thing is, according to the Cicerone page, all tips are supposed to go to the organization. In the first case, I actually got a thank you email from Cicerones - CCing the guide, thanking me for my 45 peso contribution. In the second case I did not. It sort of lead me to believe that that Cicerone may have kept it for himself (though. I have no issue with that, since he spent almost a full day with us and did a good job and probably needed the money, nor do I have proof and would have not even given it a second thought had I not have had the previous experience. .

The only reason I am mentioning this, is because I had read elsewhere (probably here or another forum) that if you specifically want your guide to have something, some people bring a gift - that way he/she can have it.

it has been about 4 years since I used Cicerones, though things may have changed.

raquel
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

The preceding responses are indeed helpful, and I thank you. If anyone else wants to cite her or his suggestions re: the gratuity-- I'm open for additional information.

I plan to use the services of Cicerones as well as the volunteer group who wear the green vests; I plan to take two of their tours: one to become reacclimated and the other out of curiosity, for I will be staying in the barrio of Recoleta for the third time.