Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Three days enough for the Galapagos Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I'm in the middle of a motorcycle tour of South America and will be in Ecuador in two weeks. Unfortunately we have a week to spend in Ecuador as a whole and I was wondering, a) is it worth spending half our Ecuador stay in Galapagos Islands and b) is three days enough to get a good taste of what the Galapagos Islands have to offer? How much can we expect to spend on a round trip there from Ecuador and what's the best place to fly our of?

Thanks much!
Kevin
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM

I haven't yet been to the Galapagos but have been researching this a bit for the 3 months we are planning to spend there. Most trips seem to last approx 7 days but I did see one or two for just 3 days. The other main choice seems to be whether to go on a cruise or land based tour. I am not sure you would see much in just 3 days but maybe just a taster.

From what I have read so far, the cost varies widely and you do seem to get what you pay for in terms of guide experience etc. to cost of the flights alone seems to come out at around $500 return. I hope this helps a little and that others who have actually been will comment.

I would love to hear more of your motorcycle tour, will you be writing a trip report? If not, how a bout some brief details e.g. Did you by a bike in SA or rent one and where? How are the roads for biking? What is your general route? Having just sold my bike in preparation for our next trip, I am very tempted!
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to friends of mine who did this in late 2010, booking a boat after they got to Quito, there are 3, 4 and 7 night cruises, which equal 2, 3, 5 or 6 days at sea. The 7 night cruises may be 3 and 4 night cruises combined. They did a 4 night western route and saw few other boats.

Note that they reported that in early November the water was really cold. They figured they saved 55-60% by booking in Quito but there would have been a hefty surcharge for using a CC.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 04:26 AM

kevinballa -

We just came back from Ecuador and the Galapagos. We had a 5 night 6 day cruise in the Islands and it was just enough for me. (Husband could have stayed longer.)

In three days - you have to figure that 1/2 of one day involves flying there and another 1/2 to get back. You will see a few sites - but not that much. Are you panning on staying on an island or doing a cruise? There's less variety of stuff to do when you stay on an island, but since you'd only be there for 3 days, you wouldn't have a lot of time to really get around anyway.

You should look at what each island and each site on the island has that you are interested in. The water was cold in early Sept. but we rented wet suits from our boat and they really work! And the temp was 70s so great for hiking, etc.

An alternative - We went to a place called <u>"The Bellavista Cloud Forest".</u> It's 2 hours out of Quito. They pick you up at your hotel in Ecuador and bring you back. We went for 3 days. It's a bit rugged, this is NOT the HIlton, but we got a private room with private bath. (There are also dorm rooms.) Clean. All meals are included (yummy) and all guides, hikes. Incredible hummingbirds. You do as much or as little as you want.

It was wonderful. Lots and lots of birds. In the Andes. It cost a total of $480 for both of us. (Included: Pick up and return to Quito, all meals, room with private bath, guides.)

http://www.bellavistacloudforest.com/english/index.php
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM

I would agree with kenav ~ it all depends on how much you want to see. I just got back last week from a 7 day boat trip to the Galapagos and would say that it was just enough time. You will lose more than 1/2 a day getting there and back depending on where you start from.

In talking to one of the naturalists on our trip and she told me that 54% of visitors to the Galapagos are now "day trippers" who base out of one of the port towns and take speed boats to locations for dives/snorkeling/visits ashore. Her feedback was that while it does allow you to stay in one place for a couple of nights in a row without the noise/movement of the boat moving overnight you do have to get to your sight via a speed boat which can be somewhat uncomfortable and takes time. If you're up for a high speed ride to an island then go for it.

Personally I liked having my 'base' float with me. We were able to go back to the boat if we needed to get back (remember, there are no bathrooms on any of the islands!) and had a good amount of relaxing time.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM

If you stated the itinerary of which island or islands are included in the 3-day trip, a better answer can be given.

You use the word "taste" of the Galapagos. Even if you get to only one island it is likely you'll see Blue-footed Boobies and some iguanas, plus sea lions. Maybe visit the Darwin Research Station. That's a taste.

Check out this itinerary. Not advocating the company or boat, never went with them.

http://www.adventure-associates.com/...rs_wed_sat.asp

Espanola is a must see on any itinerary. One of the best for Blue-footed Boobies, iguanas, and seal lions. The Waved Albatross are on this island and only this one except for Jan-Mar.

You get to the Research Station where there are tortoises.

This heads out to Genovesa, I'm surprised. Usually short trips don't go that far. Genovesa has the Red-footed Boobies. Little black marine iguanas live there. So do swallow tailed gulls.

This short trip would be more than a taste. Such a short visit is not my taste, but I am impressed with this itinerary, which hits some key species in a short amount of time.

Happy sailing.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM

"One of the best for Blue-footed Boobies, iguanas, and seal lions."

You won't find sea<b><red>l</b></red> lions, but you will find sea lions.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 05:23 AM

Saw Red Footed Boobies on Santa Cruz and I think, Espanola, as well.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM

I agree that three days is not enough if that includes travel time to the Galapagos from the mainland Ecuador. I second the recommendation for Bellavista cloud forest , I really enjoyed it. Nice guided hikes, fairly good food, lots of hummingbirds. If you're patient you can even get some to land on your fingers at the feeders.