Thoughts on Rancagua and Pomaire?

Jan 5th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thoughts on Rancagua and Pomaire?

We are wondering whether any of these two towns in themselves are worth a day trip from Santiago in February.

For Rancagua, it seems that there would be the historical Plaza de los heroes, the Rancagua museum, the Merced (?) church, and perhaps strolling the (hopefully interesting) town centre. It appears that the construction of the Gaudi chapel has been unfortunately halted, so I am unsure if there would be anything else worth seeing. (not interested in the safari park, nearby hot springs, etc. and will not have a car)

In the case of Pomaire, I gather that the main attraction would be the pottery and handicraft market. For those of you who have been, how different would it be to the Los Dominicos artist village in Santiago? If it is more or less the same idea, we would probably give it a pass even if the prices are lower.

Hoping to get some comments on these off the beaten path sites. Gracias!
Jan 7th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Rancagua itself is just a large town really but the small towns to the W and SW in the Cachapoal and Colchagua river valleys are some of the most typical central Chile towns. Doñihue where the typical Chilean ponchos are woven, Cotemo with the straw hat makers, Quinta de Tilcoco with its crepe myrtle lined avenues, Coinco with its typical adobe houses and plaza, Lolol with it artesan useum, the Azudas (wooden water wheels) of Larmahue. But you do need a car to see all this. I am hoping to tempt you!
Map of the region:
Mapa Turístico de la VI Región del Libertador Gral. B. O'Higgins ..:: Antes de viajar, navegue... Turismovirtual.cl ::..
Azudas de Larmahue
17 Azudas de Larmahue | Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales de Chile
Protected typical zones in O'Higgins
Monumentos | Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales de Chile

Pomaire is not really worth a special trip unless you want flower pots. There are a lot of things other than that but pottery is heavy to transport, no matter how small. You will see things in the Pueblo los Dominicos the same or similar. A lot of people go to eat at the typical restaurants. Check out the Artesanias locale inside the Dominicos market for really good examples of artesania, including some pottery.
Jan 8th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Huentetu, I was thinking that you might chime in. This information is very useful. So Pomaire is then definitely out (I actually suspected it would be the case).

The web links you kindly provided are interesting indeed !!! I am certainly not against renting a car, but thought that I would first try to see if one could do without one. It sounds as if it may be worthwhile to have one for a day or two for example so I will certainly keep my options open. This kind of research is what trip planning is all about !

Gracias una vez más.