Santiago Chile

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santiago Chile

Now we are fully vacinated, we plan to travel to South America in 2022. I have been able to research and make reservations in most places we will visit. However I am stumped about what is the most desirable location for a tourist in Santiago. We prefer to be situated in an area where we can walk to most attractions in town. We like historical sites. The town seems to be divided into several distinct areas. but it;s difficult to find a recommendation, Is there a "old town" area ? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 06:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My experience in Santiago was that some historical attractions are kind of spread out throughout the city. Some of that was due to earthquakes that to a degree have disrupted the 'flow' to what otherwise might have been a contiguous historical district, at least as far as interesting architectural sites and such. That's my experience, others may disagree. I'm I guess comparing Santiago to other large Latin American cities I know. It's not like Mexico City where staying in centro puts you close to almost everything.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks baldone. You confirm my thought that Santiago is difficult to research a "best" area to locate or a walking area where most attractions are located.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 09:11 AM

I would suggest to have a closer look at what specific places are of interest to you, and also how much time you plan to spend in Santiago (2 days? one week?). This would probably help you decide a little more, by having a look at a city map. For example, if you are planning to see the Museo de arte precolombino, Plaza de Armas, Museo de Bellas Artes, Bellavista including cerro San Cristobal, La Chascona, Gabriela Mistral Centre, etc. , then staying close to the centro would make sense for example close to Santa Lucia or Lastarria. These would be a very efficient base time wise and you could walk quite easily to these places.

On the other hand, if you are aiming more towards parks and strolls, sitting at cafés, higher end shopping/dining in Vitacura, parque de las esculturas (sculpture park), Bicentenario park, going by subway to Los Dominicos artisan village, the Museo Ralli, etc., then have a look at Providencia or a favourite of ours the El Golf neighbourhood.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kanadajin- We plan on being in Santiago 4 days. We were in Santiago about 15 years ago, but I can't recall much about it since we spent most of our time traveling outside the city. I recall that we stayed at a Marriott, but I don't think it was located in Centro. Can you recommend a couple of hotels that would be well located ? When you look at the hotel websites it is difficult to determine the location from their small maps. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Jeterray, we usually rent apartments when in Santiago as our stay is typically for several weeks, fleeing our way too long winter misery back home. So I would unfortunately not have any first hand hotel recommendations for you.

If it can be of any help, I can however mention some hotels which we simply happened to notice during our sojourns (strictly through walking by, with rarely at best a quick peek in the lobby to satisfy our curiosity) which may perhaps be considered location wise. I have no idea about their going rates or reviews though, you would have to dig this a little deeper. It also depends on what you are looking for in terms of amenities, obviously. So take my purely by chance suggestions with a grain of salt.

In the Lastarria neighbourhood, you may want to look at Hotel Cumbres Lastarria, or the Singular Santiago Lastarria located close to each other. I am sure there would be others. In Providencia, we have some friends who stayed at the Hotel Boutique Le Reve and really enjoyed it (on calle Orrego Luco, very nice side street) - btw try the vegetarian restaurant El Huerto right across the street if you do go. There would also be the AC Hotel by Marriott Santiago at the Costanera Centre. A little further up you enter the Las Condes business district (dubbed Sanhattan) and related neighbourhood where you will find many american chain hotels, such as the Intercontinental Santiago, the Holiday Inn Express, Double Tree Hilton Santiago (all on calle Vitacura) and also the Hotel W on Isidora Goyenechea.

I am not sure if this is the kind of info you are seeking, and your site visiting intentions would certainly have a big influence on which area of the city to base yourselves.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

kanadajin- This information is quite helpful. It appears to me that the best locations for our interests are in the Santa Lucia and Lastarria districts. There are many places of interest around the Plaza de Armas area. Am i on track here ? If so, do you have hotel/restaurant recommendations in this area ? Sorry to keep asking questions, but my typical research does not divide things into districts that allow for easy walking to attractions. Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 06:04 PM

No worries, jeterray, happy to try and help.

Given that you spent little time in Stgo itself 15 years ago and on the premise that this would then be a first "real" foray in the city, I would think that, as you mention, staying in the centro makes a lot of sense. This is what we did ourselves on our first trip there years ago as it is walking distance (say within a radius of 30 minutes at average pace) to quite a few of the popular sites. We were very happy to have done so; this area is I would say a little on the gritty side and I would not venture out too far after dark safety wise, but during the day we never encountered any hints of problems (just be street smart as in any large city).

Just for info during the massive protests in the Fall of 2019, you may know this area was particularly hard hit as it is close to Plaza Italia which was the epicentre of the demonstrations. We were there in early 2020 (left merely just days before the worldwide virus shutdown) and there were still many traffic lights which were out of service from vandalism (I understand most have since been repaired) and also an impressive amount (in the negative sense) of graffiti everywhere you could possibly think of, some subway stations still closed, some destruction, defaced buildings, etc. Some amount of clean up has since been done but I do not know to what extent. And the virus hit as a double whammy. All this to say that it probably still would not be under its best light, so to speak. Hopefully it will be well on the upswing in time for your trip in 2022.

In terms of restaurants, I responded to a similar query a while back. Have a look at post 17 in this thread:
Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?

Feel free to bounce more ideas. We actually quite enjoy Stgo and surroundings and have been back many times, despite the fact that it does not seem to generally get a lot of love on travel forums. As they say, different strokes for different folks!
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Kana- thanks, and I loved your prior post on restaurants in Santiago. As it turns out, my fellow travelers, want to stay at the Marriott hotel. Lots of points. I spent some time, and wasted some of your time. Sorry, and thanks. I so look forward to visiting Santiago. Your comments sent me to a lot of research that taught me a lot about the city. Thanks.