Sacred Valley/ AC hotel advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to Machu Picchu in late April and trying to finalized hotels. We are staying at Tambo del Inka on Starwood points for 2 nights before heading to AC. I have been looking at hotels in AC and can't find any good options with availability. Inkaterra and El Mapi, along with most comparable hotels are booked. So... is it worth it to actually stay in AC, or should I just take another "free" night at Tambo del Inka and make MP a day trip?

Traveling with my 70 year old father, not planning on climbing Huayna Picchu and neither of feel the necessity to see the sunrise. Would we be missing out by not spending a night in Aquas Calientes?

Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 01:45 AM

AC is not an attractive town and if you are interested more in comfort for you and your father rather than seeing the sunrise, we were warned beforehand by the owner of Hearts Cafe in Ollantaytambo where we were doing some voluntary work, that AC was the food poisoning capital of the SV and indeed this proved to be the case for me as I was really ill on the day we visited MP. Perhaps I am biased but on balance I would make it a day trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM

They have spiffed up Aguas Calientes a bit since your visit, crellston, after the big floods a lot of the towns in the SV have new paved streets in the center (no longer the sewer-like stream). Still the town itself is no reason to spend the night.

Since you are not planning on climbing HP I also would make it a day trip, but I'd try to get an early train from Ollantaytambo so you can be at MP when the site is less crowded.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM

I didn't climb Huaya Picchu or hike either. But I was glad to spend the night in Aguas Calientes. We stayed at The Sumaq. Given what you described - i.e. having a free hotel, and as long as you don't care about getting to MP early - a day trip sounds like the way to go.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Many I now assume that foreverperu is a cover for the travel agency Mythical Trails Peru?