Rio-July 2024-dengue risk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I have a possible work-related trip to Rio 2nd week of July (2024). I've been to Rio previously (though it was 10 years ago)--LOVED it. I've been reading about the dengue fever numbers in Brazil (including in Rio), which is a far more serious problem than in recent years. I have also been reading about the new dengue vaccine, which would not be available to in connection with this possible trip; and about the gov'ts eradication efforts in Rio. With full recognition that one cannot accurately predict where things will be with weather or with the eradication campaign in July 2024 (the latter was ramped up around Carneval time), I wonder if anyone has thoughts about dengue risk in Rio in July 2024? It would be winter then, so it seems the risk would be lower. But of course winters are getting warmer and wetter (it is also the rainy season in July, but the data I could find on rainfall suggests that we are not talking about a lot of rain generally. This is an open ended question, I know, but I would welcome any thoughts, links to studies that might provide well informed forecasts of risks. Thank you.

Last edited by studenttobe; Apr 15th, 2024 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Moderator: -please move to Brazil country forum (within South America forum)
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:48 AM

As a Brazilian I would advise you to take a repellent spray with you just in case but the dengue season is more severe in hot days and July is winter in Brazil. Other than that there is not much you can do as the disease is spread by a mosquito.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barbarasantiago1986
As a Brazilian I would advise you to take a repellent spray with you just in case but the dengue season is more severe in hot days and July is winter in Brazil. Other than that there is not much you can do as the disease is spread by a mosquito.
Thanks, barbarasantiago1986--very helpful. Hopefully the govt will remain committed to the eradication campaign as well in the event that dengue numbers rise in June/July (winter) should it be warmer than usual. But if I go, I will surely heed your advice and be sure to use a repellent with deet or picaridin(I will have to research which is more effective). I assume I wouldn't need to use it in my hotel room, but when out during the day and evening. Thanks again.