Rio in August and then where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband has meetings in Rio in mid-August and I'm trying to figure out if we can piggy back a vacation or if he should just go alone. We've never been to South America and there are lots of places and activities that interest us. However, August seems like the wrong time for many of them. Rio should be fine. However, weatherbase shows average highs in the low 60s for Buenos Aires and the rainy season in the Amazon areas. Any suggestions for August destinations or should we forget the vacation?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

tt
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Samutas- your day on the Amazon sounded great! Did you canoe alone, or do the tour people do all the rowing? Do people wear life jackets (I would guess that they insist on that).
Thanks
Jess
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:14 AM

You can go to Buzios, Salvador and Recife. Buzios is a very nice beach only 2 hours from Rio and Salvador and Recife are in the northeast part of Brazil and usually it doesn't really rain there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM

I'm from Amazon area in Brazil and I can say that August is a sunny month. But even so, we always have a weak rain at 3pm, but nothing to worry about.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM

We've just come back from the Amazon - and it was fun, even in the rain. In May, they had severe flooding, and were worried about what would happen till June, when the water is usually at its highest. We stayed at the Ariau Towers out of Manaus, and loved it. A concert in the beautiful Opera House in Manaus was a highlight - modelled on the one in Paris. Also went to Iguazu Falls , lovely still, but after 3 years drought, a lot of the 170plus falls are dry, though the Devil's Gorge is fantastic. After speaking to people who'd been to the Pantanal, I rather wish we'd gone there too, for the wildlife. Rio itself is a great vacation, I think.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Brazil is huge and a country worth exploring. You probably don't want to spend your time flying around the country, this time anyway. I recommend the romantic town of Parati south of Rio. Getting there is half the fun as the coastal road is magical. But, if you don't mind flying and feel like relaxing on a beautiful beach then head north to Fortaleza and the beach known as Canoa Quebrada. August is a good month to go. NO RAIN! I stayed at Pousada Iguana recently but there are many charming Inns/hotels to choose from not to mention plenty of restaurants with international cuisines.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Amazon and the Pantanal but can be persuaded otherwise.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Under 2 hours from Rio's Center are the mountain cities of Petropolis and Teresopolis. Total opposite of the touristy beach areas of Rio. Teresopolis is more like a Swiss village in the mountains. 3,000. ft above sea level. Petropolis is where the Royal family used to summer.