Rio Advice for 2 Young Women

Old Mar 11th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rio Advice for 2 Young Women

Hi,

My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?

Thanks!

Marika and Alanna
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 11:35 AM

I myself do not find Lapa safe. You may see a few junkies and homeless boys that may not be peaceful. However, it is a very touristic place and most people do not care about potential risks. I also would stick to the main streets, especially considering you are women.

Cannot recommend restaurants, since I do not enjoy Lapa. I'd rather spend the night in the Zona Sul neighborhood. It is also a matter of taste, Lapa still may be a good place if you enjoy samba or have an alternative lifestyle.

Santa Tereza is another option, a cool place to drink a beer and enjoy beautiful views. However, again, not very safe and you have to follow the usual safety guidelines.

I suggest you staying in a hostel, make friends and walk around with a group. You may find hostels in http://www.hostelworld.com/ or www.hostelbookers.com/‎
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM

This canadian student teaches english to homeless people in Lapa and never had any problems:

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/estudant...e-rua-10916794

However, it was not my personal experience. Homeless boys already tried to intimidate me there in the past, but I'm a man, was in a group and nothing happened.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:15 PM

I am local, Lapa is safe if you understand you are not in Europe. Take a taxi and go straight to a place. Suggestion from my daughter (22 years old) RIO CENARIO. Santa Teresa is nice to go for a dinner (by taxi), but if you can stay in Ipanema - central , nice beaches, a wondurful place!!!! Restaurants depend what kind of food , the area, and how much you want to pay. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:24 PM

By the way - subway is not to be used at weekends nights . Ipanema is reached by subway - station GENERAL OSORIO.