Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Santa Teresa Neighborhood -Rio impressions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've decided to stay in Santa Teresa in Rio. It's not my first trip to Brazil but will be my first trip to Rio. I chose it and not the beach areas because it seems a little more low key. I am a traveling solo (female) and have heard it may be difficult to get taxis at night. Has anyone stayed here and if so what are your impressions? I also heard it may be a bit difficult to get taxis at night to go there.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM

I haven't stayed there but have been there at night several times. I had no trouble getting a cab back to Botafogo. On another occasion, I took the tram (bonde) back to the historical centre and then a cab from there.

I like the area a lot and have planned to stay there next time I go. I think you have made a good decision!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Susan! Feel reassured now.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM

lonetraveller, have you been to Santa Teresa yet? I am also travelling alone to Brazil (January) and I am looking for a flat in a little quieter area. Would love to hear your impressions.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Santa Teresa is a wonderful area; its ambience and views are stellar. It's a quaint and quiet place, but I have no idea about the taxi situation. When I've visited there, I have traveled only during the day and via the bonde/tram. It's a place that has quaint restaurants, bars, shops, and wonderful museums.

While you're on the bonde-- hold on to cameras and purses, and don't wear expensive jewelry. Although I am a man and have blended in with the natives and have had NO problems during my seven visits to Rio during the past 8 years-- what I cite is some guidance given to me by others.