Restaurants in Peru - Suggestions?

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Peru - Suggestions?

We are finally departing for Peru on Sunday! Many thanks to all of you who gave me excellent advice during the planning stages of our trip to Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Cusco. We are all (2 couples) very excited!!

We have made a dinner reservation at Astrid y Gaston in Lima. We also plan on going to Indio Feliz in Aguas Calientes. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Cusco, Ollantaytambo, and other places in Lima? What did you like about these restaurants, and what did you eat there (that you really enjoyed)?

Muchas gracias.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

I would recommend some ceviche. Just go early, like 12:30. Pescado Capitales has it for dinner but if you want a less expensive choice and can break for lunch you can try Punto Azul or El Pez Amigo.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Sorry that was for Lima.

Everyone recommends Cicciolina in Cusco.

The restaurant in El Albergue in Ollantaytambo does a good job cooking alpaca properly.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 12:50 AM

In Cusco we enjoyed great alpaca steaks at Fallen Angel - good food but it is worth going for the Avante Garde decor alone. Chez Maggy serves up amazing pizza with some unusual combinations (e.g. alpaca & trout).

The best ceviche we tried was out at Molino market (15mins by bus from Plaza del Armas,

Jacks Cafe serves up great breakfasts, sandwiches, burgers pizza. Enormous portions (and often queues!).

There are dozens of restaurants and bars in San Blas and it is quite nice just to wander and find somewhere you like the look of.

In Ollantaytambo there are lots of restaurants around the Plaza and the road down towards the ruins. We found them all to be much the same (we were there for several weeks). KB Tambo was one of the better places and Hearts Cafe on the Plaza is a good place for lunch and breakfast and just to watch the world go by.

Have a great time and make sure you report back on your experiences!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Sonia Bahamonde's my fav for cebiche featured not long ago in an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show,No Reservations
inkagrille.com Cusco on the Plaza close to libertador.com.pe
GREAT grilled meat.

Happy Eating!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:29 AM

www.inkagrillcusco.com oopsie.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Great suggestions everyone!

You'll love Astrid y Gaston and La Mar (Gaston Acurio's ceviche restaurant) is also excellent. It has a fabulous easy cool and Miraflores is wonderful to stroll in.

In Cusco, Cicciolina is fabulous (dark stout osso bucco comes to mind). You can also try Limo in the Plaza de Armas. Pacha Papa has a nice, traditional feeling.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Muchisimas gracias! We now have some great, mouth-watering recommendations. I will definitely post a trip report upon our return. Again, many thanks to all.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Any particular restaurants in Ollantaytambo?

Also, we have a free afternoon in Olly upon arrival. We will be taken to tour the fortress and citadel ruins another day, and also Maras and Moray. Any suggestions for sights or activities in Ollantaytambo for our free afternoon there?

Again, many thanks to all.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM

The walks around Ollantaytambo include the ruins there, the old Inca town sector, the colcas on the far side that you can see from the ruins, you can also walk around to the Inca
Bridge and the main road into town has some ruins. You can tour or hike to one of the weaving villages (stop into Awamaki on the smaller town square), although if it has been raining this may not be a good idea. KB Tambo also does bike rides in the area. I think I already suggested the El Albergue hotel restaurant, and for lunch Hearts Cafe does a nice quinoa soup.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM

Horse rides are available from the main square if you are feeling energetic, otherwise I would take the time to chill out in the main square and watch the world go by. I would have suggested a beer at Hearts Cafe as a great location, but have just had an email to say they have moved to http://www.heartscafe.org/hc_how_to_find_us.html
As mlgb has suggested above, a wander around the narrow streets of the old town for an hour or is very worthwhile and will give a great insight into the way the people have lived for centuries. Take teh time to say hello and you are sure to get invited in to one or two of the houses
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, crellston. Just checked website of Hearts Cafe and noted new location. Your suggestions here (and above) sound very good. We are departing today! I will post a trip report in a few weeks. Muchas gracias to all.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM

herein you a page about restaurants in Peru

http://mythicaltrailsperu.com/food-a...s-advices-for-
peru.htm

Good luck
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM

http://www.mythicaltrailsperu.com/fo...s-for-peru.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Why pay a tour guide to lead you by the hand, instead book the tasting menu at Astrid Y Gaston, go to El Mercado or another top cebicheria, and visit Surquillo Market.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Sorry above posted in wrong thread!