pucon or puerto varas in january?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be flying down to the lake district from santiago to experience it's beauty. we are not interested in strenuous activity, but rather do very much enjoy short (1 hour) hikes, being in nature, boat rides, small towns,mountains, and indigenous culture. we will rent a car. ( we loved being in and around bariloche.) probably looking at 4 nights (3 full days) but are flexible. we assume that there is no compelling reason to stay longer to see both areas. what to do?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Can't help with Puerto Varas but we loved Pucon lots of great hikes and bike rides all against the spectacular backdrop of Mt Villarica. There were some rally nice restarants in the town serving excellent fish, steak and especially the excellent Patagonian lamb. Some photos and detail on our blog @

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...0060/tpod.html

See also yestravel's excellent trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...-chile-arg.cfm
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the referral, crellston! We were in and out of Puerto Varas and it's a nice town, but personally I preferred the smaller towns. We stayed in Fruitillar & Villarica and liked them both a lot. I think there is more to do in Pucon, but we never really had the time to check it out beyond driving thru it one day. PV has more restaurants, bars & shopping. Enjoyed our time exploring the entire area.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

a couple of great trip reports! thank you!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:36 PM

They have a different feel to them as PV has a larger year round community. I would say that if your main goal is adventure tourism (treks, white water rafting, cycling) then Pucon has a lot on offer. It also has more easily accessible hot springs.There are also many activities in PV, but if your idea is mainly to drive to lovely scenery and explore the area then PV has more options to get to other places.

Both will be fairly crowded in January (though much less so than February) as it is a popular area for local tourists as well as Argentines and Brazilians. Choose your lodging early so you have a good choice.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

bullseye, huentetu! that's exactly what i was trying to find out! we would probably stay in frutillar as (we think)it is a small town. can you suggest any specific areas down there to drive to for short hikes to see the best scenery? also, do you know of any day-trips by boat from puerto montt? are you a travel agent? if so, i would like to have your email address (if that is allowed on this board).
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM

No, I have nothing to do with travel except enjoying it like you! I would just wander around the area of Puerto Varas (nice tea at the lavender farm outside town) and visit places like Puerto Octay. The nicest way to see the south is to follow your nose. Plan your outings but take detours when you feel like it. Frutillar is small and has limited lodging, so book in plenty of time.