Please help me plan after arrival in B.A.!

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Please help me plan after arrival in B.A.!

Hello Nomads! We are currently on a cruise which we decided on only two weeks ago. We have never been on a cruisebefore and are complete newbies! To say the least, we are figuring out our trip on the fly, by the seat of our pants, and any other phrase you could choose regarding last minute travel. We dock in Buenos Aires on February 19th and have NO PLAN ( clearly) for the 12 days post cruise until we depart from Limaon March 2nd. We have spent a week in B.A. several years ago so there is not a great deal of incentive to retrace our steps. Prior to the cruise we spent 4 days in Lima and 4 in Santiago. The cruise left from San Antonio and goes down the coast of Chile, through Beagle Bay, past the Faulklands to B.A.. ANY ideas where to post cruise? We thought of Bariloche? Mendoza? Chile? I was in Peru and did an extensive tour around Machu Pichu etc. Grateful for any travel planning guidance!!
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:29 AM

You don’t mention your interests so it is difficult to make relevant suggestions.

I am not a great fan of Bariloche or Mendoza but it would be a good time for Southern Patagonia, maybe the glacier regions of Argentina /Chile, Torres de Paine etc. Can’t be much help with details as I have yet to make it that far south.

My first choice would likely be to fly from BA to Igauzu falls for a couple of days and then on to Salta to drive a circuit of the northwest. You have enough tim to do both the southern and northern circuits. Some info and photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/

One concern would be getting to Lima. Airline networks are not great in South America and I don’t think there are too many, if any direct flights to Lima. Most will likely go via Santiago so it may be best heading straight there form BA.

With flights in mind, maybe fly to Santiago, bus to Valparaiso for a couple of days and then back to Santiago and fly to Arequipa in Peru. One of my favourite cities in the country and worth a few days and the starting point for visiting the Colca Canyon. Perhaps 3 days for Arequipa and 2/3 for Colca Canyon - some photos and detail of our time in those places in te Peru section of our blog.

You could then fly back to Lima or maybe take te bus and stop off at one or more places along the coast - Nazca, Huacachina, Paracas Etc.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:30 AM

I wonder if you would be interested in Bolivia. It should be a relatively inexpensive one way flight into La Paz. Fascinating country. You could visit the Salar de Uyuni, Potosi and Sucre,and go via Lake Titicaca into Peru where it would be relatively easy to fly into LIma.

Even though you've "seen Peru" there are likely very many parts you've not seen including those mentioned by crellston. The northwest coast also has some amazing archaeological sites and even better seafood than Lima (hard to believe I know).