Please critique itinerary for Cusco/Sacred Valley/ Machu Picchu

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Peru with our grownup sons (20's) and this is our tentative itinerary. We want to see the cultural sites, and are also foodies, and are wondering how to allocate our time of 7-8 days before we leave Peru for Quito and a Galapagos cruise.

Day 1 Arrival Lima. ( sleep Lima)

Day 2 Morning flight to Cusco. Immediate transfer to Sacred Valley to acclimatise. Take it easy first day. maybe visit Pisac, if feeling perky! ( sleep Green house)

Day 3 Maras, Moray and Chincero ( sleep Green house)

Day 4 Ollantaytambo. ( sleep Ollantaytambo)

Day 5 Vistadome train to Machu Pichu

Machu Picchu? ( sleep ?Sanctuary Lodge)

Day 6 Sunrise Machu Picchu b4 crowds arrive. Explore MP till afternoon, expedition train to Cusco. ( sleep ? Cusco)

Day 7 Cusco

Day 8 Cusco-Lima. City tour Lima. Evening flight to Quito if available

Questions:

1) How many days should we allocate respectively to the Sacred Valley and Cusco? is 3 days too much to allocate for the Sacred Valley? Can Pisac, Maras, Moray, Chinchero and Ollantaytambo be done comfortably in 2 days? Has anyone stayed at the Green House, and if so, is it a convenient place for exploring the Sacred Valley?

2) Is it worth visiting both Pisac and Chinchero? I have read that the market at Chinchero is cheaper and less touristy? If we don't have time to do both, which would be a better choice?

3) Is it worth springing for the very expensive stay overnight at Sanctuary Lodge at Machu Picchu? Would we save a lot of time to see MP at sunrise rather than lining up for the bus at Aquas Calientes?

4) Is there enough time for Cusco? Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from Cusco to Quito? If not, is there a late evening flight to Quito, so we can take in a half day city tour of Lima?

5) We don't speak Spanish, and are wondering if this tour can be done independently, or should we get a guide and driver for certain parts? We would prefer to choose our own hotels and wonder if anyone knows of good guides for each segment of the tour.

There is also this interesting culinary tour for consideration from this tour company http://www.magicalcuzcotours.com

http://www.taste-of-peru.com/

They seem quite reasonably priced and able to customise to what we want..... does anyone have any experience with them?

Grateful for any Comments? Ideas? Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM

Day 1 Arrival Lima. ( sleep Lima)

Day 2 Morning flight to Cusco. Private car service visit Pisac market and ruins on route to your hotel.

Day 3 Maras/moray,salineras and Chincero ( sleep Green house)

Day 4 Olly ruins and take later train to AC and spend night. Sancturay lodge

Day 5 MP/HP and later train to Olly and go to cusco

Day 6 Cusco city tour private service or group service.

Day 7 Cusco - could do a 4 hr trek off the beaten path or do a tour visiting markets in cusco. contact [email protected] or day at leisure shopping etc.

Day 8 Cusco-Lima. City tour Lima. Evening flight to Quito if available

1) above is an idea for an itinerary. There are better places to stay than the green house for example: www.aranwahotels.com, www.hotelsolyluna.com
2)Yes, Pisac has different ruins than Chinchero. Both deserve a visit. you will have time to visit all. It is better to use a private car/guide.
3) If you have the money why not splurge. Then you will be close to MP.
4)the itinerary above gives you enough time in cusco and sv. you can only fly from lima to quito. there should be afternoon flights so you can do a day city tour.
5) the tours can be done independently. if you can afford a private car/driver with english guide you can visit the ruins at your own pace with stops for pictures etc..
I would skip the culinary guide.
recommended private car service [email protected] and more on this forum.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, Waylluy! What should I look to pay for a private car and English guide? How would I search for recommended car service on this forum? I tried the search term in the box above and got no results!!

How long is the drive from Cusco to Ollantaytambo?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM

[email protected] is recommended and also a parcy.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:50 PM

Sandlady,

I recently went to Peru and did many of the things that are on your itinerary. First off, I am not sure if I would say the Sanctuary Lodge is worth the cost. We stayed there after a 4 day trek and were so tired and dirty that we really didn't get anything out of the amenities. If they allow you into the ruins before everyone else, it may be worth it then, but I am not sure if they do that or not.

We did all our hikes and tours with the greatest little company called Alpaca Expeditions...www.alpacaexpeditions.com. The owner of the company Raul was our guide and he was AMAZING. His knowledge is infinite as well as his passion for the culture and the people. They offer any type of day tour or overnight tour you are looking for when visiting Cusco or any of the nearby areas.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:26 PM

If you will only buy the 70 soles Boleto turistico that covers Pisac, Olly, Chinchero and Moray, be aware that is only good for two days.

I would not see Pisac ruins on arrival day. Instead if you feel perky just walk around the town. Try to time your Pisac visit for Sunday if possible to see the mayors (alcaldes) at 11 am as well as the more complete market where the women from Chahuaytire come into town.

Then see your Ollantaytambo ruins on day 4 as planned. Depending on how you feel see the Chinchero Moray and Maras on either day (they are really not convenient to Pisac, but more convenient to a transfer between Cusco and Olly.) If you look on a map you can see that Pisac is off in it´s own direction.

I agree about Sanctuary Lodge. I think arriving late makes it even less worthwhile.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestions, Bonnie and Migb. Migb, can the 70 soles boleto turistico be used for any 2 separate days, or must the 2 days be consecutive?
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Two consecutive days.