Peru Trip Advice

Old Apr 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru Trip Advice

I am getting ready to book hotels for a trip to Peru with my wife in July. Here is our planned itinerary. Any feedback would be appreciated.

June 29- July 1 - Amazon (Tambopata) - (We are deciding between 2 or 3 nights)
July 1- July 5 - Ollantaytambo (activities in Sacred Valley)
July 5 - 6 - Machu Picchu
July 6 - 8 - Cuzco
July 8 - 10 - Puno/Lake Titicaca
July 10 - 13 - Colca/Arequipa

Some questions:
-How does this look?
-Should we do 2 or 3 nights in the Amazon?
-Is two nights enough for Lake Titicaca? We are likely to stay in Puno and want to get a brief feel for the floating islands.
-Would 2 nights in Colca Canyon area and then 1 night in Arequipa work well?
-We have decided against the Inca Trail trek in part due to the time it takes and the cost compared to staying in the Sacred Valley. Should we reconsider this?
-I know we are leaving out Lima but since we used frequent flier miles, this was the best way to avoid too many intercountry flights. We can spend the last day there if we leave Arequipa in early AM and take the redeye out of Lima. Would this be worthwhile or should we leave Lima for another time?

Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM

We stayed 4 days/3 nights at Posada Amazonas, Tambopata, I think 3 days/2nights would have been enough for us BUT we were at the very end of our trip and had already been on the road for 20 days so we were a bit worn out. We spent one night in Puno then did a 2 day/1 night homestay at Lake Titicaca organized by All Ways Travel. We then stayed another night in Puno and were glad for it. We also spend one night in Arequipa, then went on a 2 day/1 night excursion to the Colca Canyon then another night in Arequipa upon our return. This was a fun but grueling trip, the roads are not very good and we were happy that we did not have to rush out of Arequipa when we got back from our Colca Canyon trip.

Hotels - We loved KB Tambo in Ollantaytambo, the on-site restaurant was excellent. Go on a bike ride with them.

Mosoq Inn in Puno was nice.

Hotel La Casa De Mi Abuela nice in Arequipa. Giardino Tours on site for trip to Colca Canyon.

Nino's Hotel in Cusco very nice.

I am working on our trip report. Check it for more details. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we are considering many of the hotel options that you chose. If we do 2 nights, we will do the Posadas Amazonas and if we do 3 we were thinking of Refugio Amazonas which is a bit further into the reserve.

We are undecided about the homestay in Titicaca. Is it a must do?

Babs, How did you get from Puno to Arequipa? We were thinking about going from Puno straight to Colca Canyon area via bus (Chivay; http://www.4m-express.com/index_en.htm), spending 2 nights there, then on to Arequipa for our last night. Any ideas on this versus your method?
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

any advice on transportation to and around Colca/Arequipa?
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM

I would do 3 nights in the Amazon if it would allow you to go further in to the jungle.

One night in Puno is enough if you just want to see the lake; you only need another night if you want to stay overnight on one of the islands. How much do you enjoy rural islands?

What do you plan to do in Colca Canyon - just the condors & hot springs? 1 night in Arequipa should be fine to see the highlights - Museo Santuarios Andinos, Monasterio de Santa Catalina & Catedral.

If you like hiking, and want to do something shorter & without having to pay for a pricy permit, you can do day hikes from Ollantaytambo.

I think a day in Lima would be worth it. Depends on how much you like cities, and how much you're willing to rush on vacation. Would be a good idea to have some buffer between flights anyway in case of delays. You could see the Catedral, changing of the guard, Iglesia San Francisco, central market near Chinatown, and stop at a craft market if you like to shop.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM

We went from Nazca to Arequipa by Cruz Del Sur bus. Spent the night at Casa de Mi Abuela Hostal in Arequipa ($54.00 a night incl breakfast). The next day we spent sightseeing in Arequipa on our own. Following two day's we went on the Classic Colca Canyon 2 day/1 night tour with Giardinotours for about $67.00 each. www.giardinotours.com/english/pcityaqpe.html located on same property as Casa De Mi Abuela Hostal. The tour was excellent, the roads are not. We heard someone describe them as cruel. We spent the night at La Casa de Mama Yacchi which is owned by same folks who own Casa de Mi Abuela. Enjoyed the hot springs, a short hike and saw Condors! Arrive back in Arequipa about 5:30 pm so we stay another night at La Casa De Mi Abuela. Next morning take Cruz Del Sure bus to Puno, 5 hour ride. Stay the night at Moso
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:31 PM

oops, fingers moving faster than brain. Anyway, stay the night at Mosoq Inn, $50.00 a night includes breakfast. www.mosoqinn.com/hotel_english/ubicacion.php

Next day go on Uros, Amantani and Taquile 2 day/1night tour with Allways Travel. Upon our return to Puno we stay at Mosoq Inn again.

The next morning we take the Inka Express bus from Puno to Cusco. Takes all day but stops at several ruins, churches, towns etc for lunch. Is really quite pleasant. Cost about $20.00 each.

This itinerary can be shorted if you have less time. I think everthing was interesting and worthwhile in it's own way.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM

Have you considered the trek from Lares to Olly as an alternative to teh Inca Trail? Incredible scenery and hardly any other trekkers. It takes 2nights/3 days. Entrie 58-59 on our blog has some more info and some photos http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html
Don't short your time in Arequipa. IMHO one of the nicest towns in Peru. Santa Catalina convent alone can take teh best part of a day.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks crellston, Who did you book the Lares trek with?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Just want to comment on Puno. Puno itself isn't much and I think only one night is needed. I would suggest getting into Puno, sleeping and seeing the floating islands the next day and then moving on. I know you weren't planning on going to Bolivia but if you are interested in Lak Titicaca, I would suggest the easy bus ride to Copacobana and then visiting Isla de Sol as it is a nice hike and day trip. Not sure what nationality you are but if you are American the visa is probably too much $$ and too much hassle for s small trip. Otherwise I would say go for it. Have a blast.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM

aguila - we used Miguel Jovens who is usually based in the South America Explorers Club in Cuzco. http://www.saexplorers.org/club/home

Miguel may be contacted by :
Telephone:
(51 84) 984792227//084-245484
Email:
[email protected] - [email protected]

Please bear in mid that if he is out on a trek it may take a few days for him to get back to you
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM

There are other treks around the Sacred Valley in addition to Lares.

Be sure to hike down from Pisac to the town. You'll get a good feel for what the Inca trails were like...scary bits downhill if you have vertigo!

Check KB Tambo's webpage. If I still had trekking lungs I would go to Choquequirau:

http://www.kbperu.com/trektour.html

(Be cautious as there is another outfit that pretends to be KB ..I think they call themselves KB Tours.)

I stayed at El Albergue in Ollanta and liked it, but KB's hostel also gets pretty good reviews if you stay in one of the nicer rooms.

http://kbtambo.com/Trekking_Tours.html