Peru tour company recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to travel this August and definitely see Macchu Piccu. Lima and the Lake Titicaca area. We would like to use FF miles for our airfare so we are open to any tour agency that is recommended-even one in Peru. Gate 1 travel has a tour we like but the price is low which is great but also worries me a bit. I just looked at Kuoda but they are luxury and are probably out of our price range. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 05:59 AM

www.peruforless.com

www.pmexplorers.com

get great reviews more cost-effective.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
P_M

I've been on some Gate 1 tours and they were great, Gate 1 is a very good company. I liked it so much I'm booked on another Gate 1 tour this year. I think you will be pleased with Gate 1.

As much as I like Gate 1, I traveled to Peru with GAP Adventures because I wanted to hike the Inca trail and Gate 1 doesn't offer that. GAP would have more basic accomodations than Gate 1 but groups are a lot smaller. I think GAP offers comfort tours with better accomodations if you would care to check into that.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM

I used Peru Best Tours because they would customize my entire trip. I ended up spending for 17 days what it would have cost me for 10 through Gate 1, and I couldn't even think of what Kuoda wanted to charge me.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Hi Patrick
Well, in our case we had a tour to Peru last year and the experience was awesome, we used a local tour operator called Apu Kuntur Peru, we did Arequipa & Colca, Puno & Titicaca Lake and Cusco & Macchu Picchu, they really helpful and patient too because we did many changes from the original program. I'm sure they'll help you a lot, maybe you can ask them for a quote at [email protected], well I hope you have a wonderful trip. Good luck
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM

My wife and I have been to Peru a few times and we are very pleased with the support we received from Pachamama Explorers, http://www.pmexplorers.com/new/index.php. We have used them for a wide range of services -- from standard tourist fare -- English speaking knowledgeable guides, buses, planes, trains, Machu Picchu, to treks in the wilderness (Choquequirao, http://www.pmexplorers.com/index/index.php?id=16). Every detail is taken care of whatever support level you chose. Debbie ensures that your trip will be safe and interesting. At a fair price too!

I would be pleased to provide more detail on request.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM

There are obviously MANY agencies to consider.
I went to Peru last August for 2 weeks with YAMPU.
The reason I picked them was that I really wanted to be left alone to enjoy the sights as often as possible and they understood that.
I travel alone and was taken care of very well.
I never had to worry about where to meet whom and the guides and drivers were all marvelous. Peruvian are such welcoming people !

Keep informed about the re-opening ( or not ) of the Machu Picchu.
Unless you love big cities, I would almost skip Lima or only spend 1 day there. CUSCO, definitively. THE SACRED VALLEY is a must.

Pay attention to climate. August/Sept was PERFECT fro me as I hate humidity and mosquitoes !

Be generous with tips ( la propina ) to people you will want to photograph. That is really how they survive and 1 Sol is only about 30 cents !
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice. We finally decided on Gate 1 travel. We looked at Kuoda seriously until we realized we wouldn't be able to use our FF tickets to get a flight we liked. The Kuoda tour was expensive but looked worth it and they responded to my e-mails quickly. We wanted a shorter trip because we didn't want to be away to long this summer for family reasons and Gate 1 had a nice 8 day tour. The clincher was the airfare through Gate 1. It was almost $1,000 less than buying our own tickets, the flights are excellent and we will earn FF miles on American. Gate 1 had a lot of good reviews on Epinions.com although everyone wasn't happy with them. I will post when we return next summer.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM

In my travels I ran across a GATE1 tour several times. The guides seemed knowledgable and professional. Have a great time.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Patrick, can you please share your thoughts on your Gate 1 trip? I am looking into the 12-day Peru/Galapagos trip for next May and would love any feedback. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM

Has anyone gone with OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel)? We have gone on several other trips with them and like the small groups, great guides and price. We have heard the hotel they stay at outside Machu Picchu is very poor but it is only one night and you get up so early the next morning to go back to MP again why spend the money for the Sanctuary Lodge. We are going on to Lake Titicaca which is important to us also. Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM

Not personally, but a friend liked their Peru tour.

VERY easy to do your own Peru trip online/by email. You will be following a path that is trodden down to the bare dirt.

Planning your own might allow you to splurge for Inkaterra in MP Pueblo for a few nights in exchange for less expensive lodgings elsewhere, plus you can stay in Ollantaytambo which isn't overpopulated with tour groups, rather than in Urubamba where I imagine that OAT stays.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM

We did a Gate 1 tour to Sicily a few years ago and was very pleased with it. would be doing their Peru trip next year, except we want to add on Iquasu Falls and found a Machu Pichu and Iguasu Falls combo trip thru LatinEscapes. Anyone had any experience with them?
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM

We traveled with OAT to Peru, and it was a fantastic trip. I especially liked their routing, which visited places with increasing altitudes which allowed us to gradually adjust to high altitudes. We had an excellent tour leader and the tour was great value. I'd be happy to answer any questions about this tour and destination. [email protected]
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Chrissieo522-The trip seems so long ago now (Aug. 2009) but we were extremely pleased with everything. The main guide who spent the entire trip with you was fabulous- Francisco- he had livd in the U. S. for several years and spoke excellent English. There were over 40 people on this tour but they broke them up into two groups -there was intermingling depending on whether you choose extra trips but the group never got real large. The split was largely based on whether you choose the A or B hotels- we choose the cheaper. The rooms ranged from fine to extremely nice -the only room that I didn't like was the last night in Lima- it was small and the window was on a corridor-I've seen that before and don't like those rooms but we were only in it to sleep.
I was also impressed by most of the individual guides who change from site to site . What surprised me the most was all the sights in the Sacred Valley- they were awesome and I had thought of this trip as a Machu Picchu Trip. Some people did develop altitude sickness- none for more than a day- we didn't because we were on the medication which I recommend if you can take it- it is no fun to lose a day of your trip and I guess they can't predict who is likely to get it- age and physical condition don't seem to matter. I also noticed that Gate One tried to arrange the trip to minimize altitude sickness- after flying to Cuzco and visiting a market you immediately went down to the Sacred Valley to sleep for a few days-this helps you acclimate and reduces the chance of altitude illness. I've noticed that some other tour companies fly to to Cuzco and keep you there or go higher. Lake Titicaca and the floating islands were awesome also- they are not included on some other trips. The areas ofLima where you stay are beautiful- safe- we walked all around during our free time. We also liked the fact that dinners were on your own- we got recommendations from Francisco or the hotels and ate at some wonderful restaurants.
As I said it was over a year ago and some things may have faded but if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them. This trip was a real bargain- not luxury but nice, comfortable, great guides and a well planned itinerary.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Correction Chrissieo- the trip was August 2010. Sorry.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM

PatrickSch - Thanks for posting. We just booked a 17 day Peru/Ecaudor trip with Gate 1. It was good to hear your positive review!
Did you book the optionals? Are there any you would especially recommend?
Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Debbiekep2- I'm not sure I remember which tours were optional- we did the Lima city tour which was very good-I think that this was included. We also did the Cuzco city tour which had the best cathedral tour that I have ever been on- it is really interesting and even funny to see how the church accommodated the Inca culture- if you are familiar with Catholic churches you will see depictions of Christ and Mary that you have never seen before. We also went to Marais/Moray from the Sacred Valley- the experimental Inca farm and a salt mine on the way back- this was excellent. The tour of the floating islands on Lake Titicaca was great- if it is optional don't miss it The one tour that we did not need and was optional was the tour of the Indian markets in Lima on the last day of the tour. By then you will have seen several markets and you could easily take a cab to this marketplace for much less than the cost of the tour-it is all tiled and modern- like a mall with a lot of small stores-not like the markets that you will see in other parts of Peru. By the way- if your guide is as good as ours he will give you excellent recommendations for restaurants throughout the tour- so ask. Have a great time and please post when you get back-at some point we would like to do the Galapagos and Gate 1 has a tour that we like. P. S. Machu Picchu is awesome
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM

there are so many companies I will definitely take a look on this companies, I cannot have a decision for my trip to Machu Picchu. Thanks for the info
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
RSS

Southwind Tours, Tom Damon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -