Peru - Tipping hotel desk help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2018, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m always confused about this. The literature says don’t tip desk help yet I feel that I should give something since they are very helpful answering questions. There’s at least 3 of them. How much to give each person and how much is too little without being insulting. Ie is 10 soles per person enough. 3 day stay $80 hotel. BTW I have been giving 20-30 soles in 2 prior hotels on this trip.

Last edited by Governator; Sep 26th, 2018 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Change
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:56 AM

I usually follow the custom and practice of the country I am visiting. Peruvians rarely tip so neither do I. Each to their own, but 10 soles would seem like an enormous additional reward for someone basically doing their job.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Frankly, I've never heard of tipping a front desk clerk anywhere in the world, ever.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 05:55 PM
kja

I also try to follow the local norms, and it is my impression that tipping desk staff is not typical in Peru, although a small tip doesn't seem to be unheard of for exceptional service. Here's some info you might find helpful:
Tipping in Peru (Hotels, Restaurants, Taxis & Guides) - LimaEasy
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 07:28 PM

I agree with crellston, just tip 10 if it makes you happy but dont worry too much about it. rather donate to some locally run ngo in the city
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Nobody else would do this in Peru....
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I don't know, I just get the feeling they are hoping for a tip and they really appreciate it if you do. One hotel even had a tip box on the front desk. As my wife says, it's a small amount for us, and it makes someone happy. It may even be helping them to feed their family better for a day. True though, if you are travelling for some time, the tips add up. I was pretty generous on this trip I just completed, giving mostly 10% to waiters, tipping some desk help, a couple of tips to taxi drivers like the guy that had to drive us too the airport in horrendous Lima traffic.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 08:25 AM

10%/rounding up in restaurants is okay, taxi drivers/doormen are a tipping occasion when they handle your luggage. Taxi drivers negotiate set fares so the only extra tips would be for luggage. Bad traffic is normal and they have likely already factored that in...

Tipping desk help is a little bizarre. If there is a tip jar it's probably to keep the Americans from doing something embarassing to everyone....Of course they will be gracious as they would be even if you didn't tip!
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I tell my wife we Americans are suckers for tipping generously, while the Europeans are leaving a coin or two, LOL.

Last edited by Governator; Sep 30th, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Or, you're being seen as flaunting your affluence, when tipping to excess beyond the cultural norm.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I don't think the hard working waiter who is barely getting by thinks that I am flaunting when I give him a good tip.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:29 PM
kja

I'm happy to believe that you do not intend it as flaunting, but it is not uncommon for it to be perceived that way.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

By whom? Certainly not the worker, who is happy to receive it.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:42 PM
kja

Yes, by the worker.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

I can tell by their reaction that they are grateful to get the tip. I've never had anyone give it back,
LOL.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 12:50 PM
kja

As mlgb noted, the graciousness with which the tip is received does not mean that it isn't seen as flaunting. That Americans insist on tipping when the local norms don't call for it is part of what contributes to the belief that Americans have no sense of the value of money, except to show off that they have it.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes we Americans have no sense of the value of money, all 325,000,000 of us. What a ridiculous statement. On the contrary, that I would give a tip rather then selfishly spend it on myself, shows that I know the value of money to people less well off. It's not showing off!

Last edited by Governator; Sep 30th, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 02:13 PM
kja

I did not say that Americans don’t know the value of money -- I referred to a belief that is held by many people around the world. Differences between cultures in their norms create the opportunity for misinterpretation of motive, so that even well intentioned acts can be seen in a negative light.

It may be worth remembering that tips are not the only way to show appreciation. Other options – options that may be preferred -- include making sure a person’s supervisor knows that you were pleased with that person’s service, or writing a TripAdvisor or other review that emphasizes the excellence of the service you received.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

If all Americans stopped tipping for fear that it might be misinterpreted, many tourist workers around the world would have their standard of living lowered. Reviews generally don't put food on the table. Why don't you ask the Peruvian waiter who he'd rather serve, someone who tips 10% or some one who leaves the leftover 50 centavos on the table. Why don't you ask the desk workers at the hotel in Ollantaytambo that have a tipping box out, if they'd prefer that everyone stop tipping because it's wealth flaunting. I'll never forget the waiter in Athens, Greece who held his hands over his heart in a thank you gesture to me when I left a nice tip. Westerners of means who won't tip because 'that's what the locals do' are rationalizing. Oh goody the locals don't tip so I don't have to either, so what if the poor cab driver is working a 14 hour day in horrendous conditions for $60, I won't give him a tip because the locals don't.

Last edited by Governator; Sep 30th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 11:39 PM

Has Tipping in the US has worked out that well for the workers in the US hospitality industry? Do they really prefer having to rely on tips to survive rather than being paid a living wage?

The reality is that tipping is in red into American culture, the economics of the us hospitality industry are built upon the fact that restauranteurs and hoteliers don’t remunerate there staff properly and instead rely on the customers to do it for them. Fine, that is the American way but why export it to other countries where staff are paid a living wage and don’t have to rely on tips?

Have you stopped to consider the longer term effect of tipping actually works against the workers interests as employer reduce salaries to reflect that tips are being received ( and yes, this does happen in many places). It also creates a dual economy in more toursisted areas as people choose to move from essential occupations e.g. teaching etc.which doesn’t benefit the society as a whole long term and can build resentment.

People tip for many reasons but, in many cases, I suspect that it is less to do with altruism and as reward for excellent service and more with ingrained habit and the tipper feeling a warm glow from the process.

Each to their own but please don’t believe for a second that tipping is without a massive negative aspect.

Now let’s talk about something less contentious like religion or Donald Trump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -