Amazing amount of information I've got by reading the forum posts. Thanks to all.
We're a family of 4 in NJ, USA traveling to Peru for the fist time (kids are 13 and 10) on 3/23 for 12 days and 12 nights. A sudden decision left little time for planning. I planned our itinerary for the typical highlights MP, Paracas/Ballesta, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca.
I contacted some of the recommended travel agents in Peru and the US to organize our tour, and was surprised to get quotes around US $19,000 - $26,000, not including flights and many meals. We've never used a tour operator before, so maybe my ignorance is showing.
By my calculation, hotels come to around $4000 (we're happy with 3 star). We requested private van transport and bilingual guide for any attractions. It seems to me that if I plan this on my own - hiring cars and guides at each location and booking the tours, it should cost at most around $10,000. Am I missing something? Are package tours usually marked up so much? Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 http://www.evergreenyouth.com/duromax/
- 2 Galapagos in May
- 3 Best way to visit Machu Picchu
- 4 Meal pricing
- 5 tango classes in BA for amateurs
- 6 From Argentina to Antarctica: The Ultimate Expedition
- 7 Galapagos: Land based visit + short cruise - opinions appreciated!
- 8 Advise on first trip to South America
- 9 Visiting Bogota during layover at airport.
- 10 My trip report from Argentina
- 11 La Boca safety question
- 12 Visiting Iguazu Falls
- 13 Lodging Recommendations for Buenos Aires and Mendoza
- 14 Airport transportation
- 15 estancias
- 16 Nuqui Colombia
- 17 Santiago to Valparaiso
- 18 Advice on Peru Itninerary
- 19 9 days in Chile & Bolivia
- 20 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 21 Bariloche or Villa La Angostura in Argentina Lake District
- 22 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 23 Hotels in San Pedro de Atacama?
- 24 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 25 US to Argentina Nov 28, passport expires March 7, 2018
Peru 2 weeks w/ family, custom package vs. independent travel