Patagonia and Lake District - Trip Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip following a cruise to Antarctica for late February. We are in our late 50s and active. Our main interest is hiking. We have done a small amount of horseback riding but we are very much amateurs.

One question is whether we have allocated too many days to Estancia Helsingfors and hiking in the El Chalen area.

Another question regards whether there are any things we especially look to do with this itinerary.

Our plan is to have our own rental car in both Patagonia and the Lake District.

El Calafate - Hotel: Eolo Patagonia
Estancia Helsingfors
Estancia Helsingfors
Estancia Helsingfors
Estancia Helsingfors
El Chalten - Hotel: El Cerros
Fly direct El Calafate to Bariloche
Bariloche - Hotel: El Casco
Villa la Angostura - Hotel: Hotel Correntoso
Villa la Angostura - Hotel: Hotel Correntoso
San Martin de los Andes - Hotel: Rio Hermoso
Fly to Buenos Aires

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

We just spend 6 days/5 nights in the El Calafate/El Chalten area, which I felt was enough, but we're not huge hikers. Los Cerros was fabulous and I could see spending a full two or three days there if you really are into hiking, they have full day hikes that we did not participate in.

The four nights at the estancia might be too many days, depending on the activities and how much you want to relax or partipate in them.

We loved the Correntosa hotel in VLA, have you looked into the Llao Llao for another hotel in Bariloche, it's beautiful.

With all the time you have, you could actually add another location (Mendoza?).

Have a great trip and feel free to ask questions!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM

I agree with owlwoman... you might only want to spend 1 night and 2 full days on an estancia, lots of people go at the weekends and come back the following day, that would give you a day to relax and a day to do the activities like horse riding, watch the shows, have a traditional lunch. Since you're gonna have a few flights in your plan I'd recommend you book through a travel agent, they'll do you a discount for booking them all together that way! El Chalen is beautiful, its not really a matter of having too much time there, its all about personal choice!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

We like hiking but are not up to full day hikes. I am still researching but am still not sure whether there are enough hikes of that type especially in both the El Calafate/El Chalten and the various Lake District locales. Several of the properties suggest hiring guides but we generally prefer to be on our own.

Mendoza was a consideration and still is. Basically the question is what other active pursuits we might find in the area? Wine tasting is fine but only for a day or so for us.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM

FYI, Los Cerros includes the "activities" in their prices, we were only there for one full day, so my DH did a guided hike in the AM, I did a horseback ride (we ended up meeting up at the falls), then did a boat ride to the glaciers in the PM. The guides they use are really nice (and cute).

It's nice to have a guide as I didn't think the signage is quite what we have in the US and as we do not speak Spanish, it's always nice to have someone along who does. Plus, since they know the area well, they can really show you places you would not find on your own.

You should read my trip reports, we've been to AR three times and have covered a lot of ground.

I just noticed you don't have Iguazu Falls in your plans, I think that's a real must (over Mendoza).

I know "flintstones" will comment about the NW area, we've been there too, enjoyed it a lot, but for a first trip, I like your itinerary.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM

There are many year's worth of hikes in the Lakes District as well as El Chalten (the trekking capital of Argentina).
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Iguazu is not part of this trip since we have been there a couple of times - from Brazil and Argentina. Other trips have taken up to the Ibera Marshlands and Valdes Peninsula.