overwhelmed with the choices

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overwhelmed with the choices

I just want to get away from the Canadian winter for a month in February or March 2020. I would like to rent an apartment/cottage/beach hut etc. for 2 weeks somewhere in Ecuador to walk/hike/trek, tour, swim in a warm ocean and relax as well. This will be the more active half of the month as I'll be with my sister who likes to do these things like I do. We are both in our late 50's.

The second half of the month will be renting a place for 2 weeks with my husband (who uses a cane) and 12 year old daughter who isn't into too much hiking yet. They like to look around local villages, experience the culture, eat out, enjoy the warm/hot weather, relax etc.

There are so many choices out there and I am struggling to narrow things down. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have as to the best locations in Ecuador to do the above things.

Thank you,

Diane
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 07:50 PM

Firstly, I would suggest taking a look at the weather in Ecuador in Feb / March. Great weather on the coast, blue skies and sun, but probably not so good in the Andes where it is still the rainy season I believe.

On the coast we spent some time in Puerto Lopez which was a small fishing town with good access to Isla Del Plata (aka poor mans Galapagos). Ok for. Coupe of days but I wouldn’t want to stay much longer.

Further down the coast Salinas seemed to attract a lot of Northern American expats. Much more developed, nice beaches, basically a seaside resort town.

IMO it is in the Andes where the real attractions of the country lie. A number of places that immediately spring to mind are Otavalo, 2 hours north of Quito. Lots of hiking and places to see close by, indigenous markets and plenty of local colour. The other options are to the south of the country, Cuenca is possible the biggest expat centre in South America. A nice colonial town, brilliant architecture, English is widely spoken and the beautiful Parque National de Cajas is close by. Vilcabamba is further south still. Smaller, more rural and again lots of hikes around in the surrounding hills and mountains. When we were there about five years ago we met a number of expats living there many of whom seemed to be refugees from Woodstock - a bit of a hippie/alternative lifestyle centre. Some photos and more detail of our time in the country on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/ecuador/

All that said, I think if I were in your position I would rather be considering Mexico. We spent a couple of months traveling there last year and loved it. Marginally more expensive than Ecuador but the people were lovely, the food was superb (much better than Ecuador) and there was so much to see and do. Again some info on our travels there @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/mexico/

We travelled around a lot there but our original plan was just to spend a month in Oaxaca primarily on the recommendations of people on this very forum . We spent just a week there and vowed to return for longer. You may have already been to Mexico and discounted it, but if not, I would say it warrants some serious consideration.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Crellston for all of this helpful information. I will check out the links you provided!

Diane
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 08:34 AM

How much heat and humidity can you handle? Another option would be Colombia, eg Cartagena or Santa Marta for the beach part, and then visit the Coffee Country near Medellin. February is still the dry season, less so as you move into March.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi mlgb,

We can handle heat & humidity. Is Medellin in Colombia? Is the dry season a good time to go or would March be better?

Thanks,

Diane
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Medellin is the major city in Colombia in the Andes at a higher altitude which has more moderate temps. It is comfortable most of the year. But it isn't near the beach.

https://weatherspark.com/y/22535/Ave...bia-Year-Round

The Caribbean Coast of Colombia (Cartagena and Santa Marta) is hot and humid all year. It ranges from "miserable" to "oppressive". You can scroll down on the links below to see the tourism scores. You can also use this to look up other possible locations.

https://weatherspark.com/y/22604/Ave...bia-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/23482/Ave...bia-Year-Round

You can check the rainy season on weatherspark