Search

opinions on itinerary flow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions on itinerary flow

Hi everyone-

I first want to thank everyone who's posted such helpful info on Peru Tour operators. I've been able to contact several agencies for a customized 12 day Peru trip that focuses on Lima, Cusco/Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and the Amazon rainforest.

I have a question about best flow/order of areas to visit. Most of the tour agencies are scheduling us to go to Cusco and then the rainforest, with the exception of one (of course they will change it if I want). Does it really matter? The one agency that does the rainforest first explained he felt it was more relaxing to leave the rainforest, fly into Cusco, and then relax at a hotel in Sacred Valley, before touring the Sacred Valley the following day.

thank you!
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Which part of the Amazon are you visiting? Manu is accessed mainly from Cusco.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry! I will be flying into Puerto Maldonado.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Sounds to me like the 'oddball' agency is the one doing the thinking.

The itinerary that starts in Cusco at high elevation of 11,000 feet is not my favorite. IMO that should be the location of the last few nights, not the first few.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 05:59 PM

But how does it matter since the portion in question is the Amazon part at 200-300m? I don't see any difference in acclimation between Amazon/Sacred Valley/Cusco and Sacred Valley/Cusco/Amazon.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM

You didn't mention that the other agencies were putting you in the SV before Cusco. Are they? If they do, then it probably doesn't matter much. Have a look at flight schedules and see if you lose more time one way or the other.

One thing you might consider is the weather where you are coming from. Will it be cold? If so might be easier to start in the Andes.

I know when I flew to the Amazon from a cooler drier climate the heat and humidity really set me back. But if you adjust well to heat and humidity it might not make too much difference.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Well, the one agency that has us going to the Amazon first then has us scheduled to fly to Cusco but immediately transfer to the Sacred Valley. Then it's on to Machu Picchu and then a couple days in Cusco before returning to Lima.

The other agencies are varied. They fly us from Lima to Cusco. Some start with a Cusco tour that same day and go on to Sacred Valley the next day, while others have a "rest day" in Cusco before proceeding with the city tour and then Sacred Valley the next day.

From what I've read, it sounds like I definitely need to do Sacred Valley before Cusco to help us acclimate? All of these tour agencies are customizable. But should I be worried if they're initially suggesting to begin immediately in Cusco?
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:49 PM

It is all about probability. My wife, my friend and I had been to high places like Tibet with minimal altitude issues, so it hardly matters. We were running around Cusco straight from Lima, drinking pisco sours and doing all the stuff people tell us not to, with no issues.

But if you don't have experience, then you don't know how your body will react, so it is preferable to visit 2800m areas before 3400m ones, just to decrease the chance of having problems.