Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

One last day in Lima after full schedule - what to do?

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Peru for 12 days, doing Lima, MP and Cusco, and Amazon. We have nothing planned for our very last day when our flight leaves at 11:00 pm. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a destination near Lima that we could do in a day? I have been told that Callao would be good, but I was also looking at either Pucusana, Canete or Yauyos. The only criteria is that we be back to the Lima airport to catch our flight home that night. Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Would just chill around

www.mirafloresperu.com

Plenty of stuff to do...

None of your selections will be impressive
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:47 AM

After nearly two weeks of non-stop sightseeing in Cusco, SV, MP, and Lake T, we opted to just take it easy in Lima on the day of our flight back to the US. We made no concrete plans and went with the flow. It was the right decision for us as the adrenaline that had kept us going throughout our stay was winding down with our flight to the US now in sight.

As we plan to go back to Peru, and will spend more time there on the next trip, we skipped the colonial attractions, museums, etc. and stayed in the Miraflores area for the day. We wandered the pathway from the Larco Mar Mall to Lover's Park and beyond (very safe, but keep valuables out of sight anyway), and then walked to Huaca Pucclana (about 15-20 minute walk from the mall) to visit the ruins and have a delightful late lunch at the restaurant overlooking the ruins. In the late afternoon, we did some more wandering in the parks, sitting on the benches to rest and people-watch. We then had an early dinner, picked up our luggage from the hotel, and headed to the airport ... a 1 hour drive in rush hour traffic.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you qwovadis and eenusa. I think you are both right. I think we will have done Miraflores by then because we are staying there for a couple of days, but it would be wonderful to just spend the day strolling about, maybe picking up something we wanted to see and missed. And qwovadis, saying that none of my selections would be impressive is helpful, too, because if we pushed ourselves to see somthing and were disappointed, it would not be a satisfying or relaxing ending to what is going to be an amazing trip. Thanks for the perspective.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Aside from the wandering around and people watching which I love to do, visit the Museo de la Nacion which is located north of Miraflores. This museum has excellent, extensive exhibits on the Peruvian heritage, of course I enjoy most museum and I know some do not, but just a suggestion. Don't forget to try the roasted chicken....mmmmmmm
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM

We made the mistake of hiring a guide. Terrible city, dirty, smoggy, and crowded. The catherdral in the old square had the worst tour I've ever been on. Guide wouldn't answer any questions and didn't even stay with the group? The waterfront is beautiful. I would spend the afternoon in Moraflores area and along the waterfront. We ate at a beautiful restaurant on the water. WE had lots of time and the restaurant set up a car to the airport. Moraflores to airport was about 30-45 min. drive. We departed at 11:30 pm back to Houston, Texas. Beware - the airport was a zoo. When we arrived the airport didn't seem too bad. All their international flights must depart late in the evening. Give yourself time & don't forget to get your airport tax paid 2/receipt before going through security.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! Great advice, bmcentire. How do you pay the airport tax - do you pay it when you check in? Good heads up about keeping the receipt for security.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Great advice, everyone! We are in the same position - will be coming back from Puerto Maldonado at about 1:30PM, but flight leaves at 12:20AM. Besides the Miraflores and waterfront, any suggestions as somewhere to just hang out? I am concerned that my kids will be tired and TOO much walking around will be ... too much. I was even thinking of getting a hotel room just to hang out, esp if the hotel had some nice common areas or pool. Any thoughts?
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM

You should depart for the airport 3 1/2 to 4 hours before your international flight.

It is more likely to take 45 minutes to an hour from MIraflores.

Depending on your flight time, you might be able to see the fountain show at 7:15 (leaving at 8:30 for a 12:20 flight). I don't think you can do this for the 11:30 pm flight, though.