Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

No exit stamp from Brazil, no entry stamp in Paraguay, help!!

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoided to get exit stamp in the Foz the iguacu Brazilian immigration, since I have dual nationality (Brazilian and Japanese citizenship)my Japanese passport dont have any stamps from entering Brazil because I used my Brazilian passport to enter Brazil but unfortunately I lost all my Brazilian documents 3 days ago. I dont have any Brazilian documents so I decided to skip Brazilian customs when exiting Brazil to enter Paraguay, but i am concerned if i can get Paraguay entry stamp or not since i dont have any stamps of entering or exiting Brazil, my passport have no stamps at all...

My Portuguese is really bad so i dont have time to go through all bureaucratic processes in Brazil to get new documents, I need to get back home so I've decided to travel via Paraguay airport back home in Japan, the problem is without the Brazilian exit stamp, will i be able to get Paraguay entry stamp? what problems could i face trying to leave Paraguay by airplane in Asuncion airport without any stamps in my passport? Could I be arrested? Pay fine? Or be unable to board the plane? Please someone help me!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 01:43 PM

It is unclear what country you are in now. Brazil? You should be entering and exiting each country with the same passport. If you are still in Brazil they will usually want to look at your entrance stamp before stamping your exit and usually place the two stamps on the same page. You can enter Paraguay with whatever passport you legally hold. It doesn't have to be the same one you exited Brazil with.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 03:02 PM

"i dont have time to go through all bureaucratic processes in Brazil to get new documents" Sorry, but why should any country let you in or out if you don't have the right documents, you plan on flouting the law and can't be bothered to get the matter sorted out in the right way? As far as the authorities are concerned, if you don't have Brazilian docs, you are Japanese by virtue of the one passport you do have.

Will you get fined? Possibly. Will you get arrested? Again possibly. Will you be refused boarding on the plane? Unlikely, as if they let you into Paraguay they will almost certainly let you out again. The only stamp they will be interested in is the entry stamp to Paraguay. Your problem would seem to be exiting Brazi and getting into Paraguay.

If you have lost your documents, go to your consulate and get a temporary travel document. Plenty of people do this and I doubt language will be a problem (although the location of the consulate may well be).
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 07:26 PM

When asked on her identical pist on Thorn Tree, she said she was in Paraguay currently.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the fast responses but I think I may have to post pone my flight because of this issue because I think they wouldn't let me board the plane without 1st proving where i came from or how did i get to Paraguay in 1st place (and since i have no Brazilian documents or any proof of how long i been in Paraguay they will get really curious about it..) I wish someone that knows what would happen in this situation give me some light in this issue because i have only 3 days from the departure day and i am frightened! Will they arrest me for no having any stamps on Japanese documents? or will i get astronomical fines? or will i be sent back to Brazil boarder? What would happen i other countries (in case some of you knows similar cases or laws in other countries and didnt share it because the issue here is in Paraguay) please dont exited to share and thank you alot in advance!
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:22 AM

You should be asking your chosen airline whether they will let you board with a Japanese passport with no entry stamp to Paraguay.
You should be asking the nearest Paraguayan border office how/if you can get an entry stamp in your Japanese passport. Pay any fine required. You are in that country illegally and need to regularize your situation.

Since it is required by Brazilian law that anyone with a Brazilian passport enter and exit Brazil on that passport, that does not make you any different from anyone else, except that you are not now able to show that passport.

You should not be wasting your time and ours on any travel forum. You are sounding very much like a troll.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:38 AM

In addition to Samba Chula's excellent advice, consider consulting an attorney in Paraguay who is knowledgeable on visa and travel matters.

But the first thing to do is to ask the airline whether you will be able to board.