Minimum age to hike Huayna Picchu and hiking times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are children under 12 years old allowed to climb Huayna Picchu? We're visiting Machu Picchu in April and would like to hike Huayna Picchu. Our youngest son will be 11.5 years old. The machupicchu.gob.pe site does not state any age restrictions and allow the purchase of a ticket with his birthdate but I've seen statements on other sites that children under 12 are not allowed to climb Huayna Picchu. If we can climb Huayna Picchu, is the 7am or 10am time preferable? Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 08:53 PM

Hello, watch the videos of the hikes on Huayna Picchu, this is too steep a climb for children, the track is narrow, I advise you and the children to climb Montana Picchu, this slope, although long, is higher and no less picturesque
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 08:43 AM

Age and time reply

Last March, when I hiked Huayna Picchu, there were several children the youngest of whom was 7 years old. The kids were fine but it might have been hard on the parents because ( as was said) there were no guard rails etc. Also, once you reach the top you must go single file down a steep ladder and into a small cave which you “limbo” through. There are also a lot of hornets at the top ( in March ) and several people put their had on the rocks and were rewarded with a stinger. Basically it would depend on the child and the patent.
as for time - I went at 9 am and found it quite hot coming down.