Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?

Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 08:05 AM
RAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in the very early stages of planning a trip to Mindo early September next year. There are a variety of attractive places, so I'm hoping to narrow down the field by focusing on sleep comfort and flexible menus. My wife loves nature, but is not as fanatical about the birds as I am, so in order to make sure that we're both happy, I want to make sure that wherever we stay has sufficiently soft mattresses (she has a form of rheumatoid arthritis) on at least queen-sized beds (king is best, but obviously not a common feature) and has a menu where we can make sure she can enjoy the meals (she's a picky eater--not really food allergies, but still need to plan around them). The idea is simpler is better--she doesn't need it fancy.

Places on the radar thus far:
Casa Divina
Bellavista
Septimo Paraiso
Sachatamia
El Monte

Tips on other places that are birdy but offer the above-desired qualities would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM

RAC,

I can only comment on Sachatamia as it was the only place we stayed in Mindo, but we did visit Bellavista and looked at several rooms for future reference. Sachatamia compares pretty evenly with alot of places in Costa Rica - a bit "rustic" but comfortable and clean. The only nit I had was a bit of a musty smell in our bungalow - pretty much what you would expect considering the climate and no AC in the rooms- nothing that was overwhelming though. As far as the bedding we had a queen and a full size for three people and while it wasn't Serta perfect sleeper quality I can't remember any complaints from my crew. We were very glad we brought a small electric fan with us to provide some "white noise" while sleeping - it was way quiet at night!

The restaurant at Sachatamia was pretty good with a good variety of dishes available -my wife is a vegetarian and a picky eater and she was happy with everything as was I, but I would not consider it typical Ecuadorian fare- more Americanized if you will. Several nights we took a cab into Mindo (5 minutes away) and ate there enjoying good meals at the Dragonfly Inn, El Tigrillo (good brick oven pizza) and another place I can't recall the name that had a wonderful whole fried fish dinner. Since Mindo is so close if you don't like Sachatamia's food there are other options nearby.

At Bellavista you are a good bit more isolated than Sachatamia so dinner out would be a 25 minute ride into Mindo down a dark and muddy road that I wouldn't want to tackle at night. We did have a wonderful breakfast there and the place is a birders paradise - when I go back I would stay there at least one night. As far as I could tell by just glancing at the rooms they appeared a little more basic than Sachatamia.

At Sachatamia they have hummingbird feeders scattered around the lodge that attract an amazing number of birds- perfect targets for your 100-400 lens. Also at the front of the lodge they have a fruit feeder with a covered viewing area that is an awesome place to have a morning cup of coffee- you will be in hog heaven as we like to say here in the south! Behind the lodge they have a pretty extensive set of trails for hiking that lead down to a small river.

Definitely reserve a guide for at least a couple of days - we booked Marcelo Arias and were very happy with him but there are many very capable guides in the area.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
RAC
Original Poster

very helpful, thanks! Good to know that town is an option if dinners are found to be wanting--how expensive/abundant are cabs?

So, fair to say that Sachatamia seems more like a base from which to tour the area while Bellavista seems more like a destination?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 03:11 PM

Cabs are just a front desk call away - $5 to and from the lodge into Mindo - $20 each way to Bellavista.

Bellavista is a bit remote and not as centrally located as Sachatamia or the other Mindo lodges so dining out or going on other tours is more difficult and more expensive - kind of like AOL in Costa Rica. But I still would like to stay at least one night there- it was awesome!. The Plate Billed Mountain Toucan is a local resident and is regularly seen at the lodge feeding in the Cecropia trees- quite a sight!
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 01:29 PM

RAC - a few years back we stayed at El Monte for several nights in Mindo. The food was wonderful then. It's an interesting property with, at least then, its own garden for veggies etc. At that time they had a very healthy approach to dining. All the food we had there was wonderful. They didn't have refrigeration as I recall - so everything was fresh. It's also possible that they may have been veggie/organically oriented. (not that we are) But no matter, everything we ate was first rate. Owners (North American and Ecuadoran wife?) were very conservation oriented. Their open air common room and dining area is beautifully designed. Can't remember anything about the beds in our cabin though sorry. I posted a trip report on that Peru/Ecuador trip. We saw a lot of birds at El Monte - even with a beginner guide!
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM
RAC
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess having a lot of good options is not a bad problem to have.
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
RAC
Original Poster

Hi Artie. Do you have Marcelo's contact information?
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Marcelo Arias is [email protected]

If you want to get a quote from Julia, I think she is at [email protected] (note singular, but I would also try [email protected]) just to be sure.

PS I see you saw the Painted Bunting on ebird!!

They are both fine. Julia has the better scope, but Marcelo has the easier accent.

Also, Julia uses her partner as a driver, who is also an excellent spotter.

With Marcelo, it was a different car and sometimes a driver, sometimes not. Ask if he has straightened his car situation out. It is a little touchy when someone is driving and looking out his window for birds at the same time.

I thought Sachatamia was pretty comfortable, everything in Mindo tends to be a bit damp. I actually like staying at the very cheap Bio Hostal in Mindo, because it is concrete and not wood (hence quieter and less musty). But there are no screens on the windows, and some little biting bugs got me one night around an exposed ankle. So I won't suggest it for your wife, but if you need to find a place for an extra night just dose up before bedtime.

Yes you need repellent!
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 08:00 PM
RAC
Original Poster

We just booked our flights and 5 nights at Sachatamia. The pool is a game-changer for my wife.

That Painted Bunting would be a rock star even in the tropics!
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 09:34 PM

Ha, I didn't realize they had a pool..hope it is heated!

Hopefully you will be there early enough in September to still have dry weather. I think September is the month when it normally starts to change.

I thought the food was pretty good at Sachatamia for the one night I ate dinner there.

If they tell you that breakfast starts too late, just tell them you need an earlier time for birdwatching and they should accomodate you. You might want to write and inform them that you will be getting an early start.

There are onsite guides at Sachatamia, btw. For the easy trail I think you need just to give an optional tip. You can also do that one on your own, but they also have some difficult trails (which I didn't do) where you must use a guide, not sure if theirs only.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Now, I do remember the pool! It was pretty nice, heated and screened.

Getting old.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Yes, the pool is nice and heated. We really enjoyed it after hiking some tough trails around Bellavista lodge one day- nice and soothing.They do close it periodically for maintenance so you might let them know you are hoping to use it,just in case! The pool overlooks a small pond out back that has koi in it - one day I watched a Ringed kingfisher dive down and grab a big one and fly off before I could get a shot, so watch out for him and the owls that gather out front around a light at night and early morning.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 09:56 AM

artiejay, did you go on any of the 'guide mandatory' trails at Sachatamia? I was leaving the next morning so didn't have time (or inclination, since it had rained hard the night I arrived).

For the OP, they also put fruit out in the morning, so ask what time that happens as it disappears rapidly. Good tanagers.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 08:00 AM
RAC
Original Poster

It looks like the real challenge is making sure there's enough down time--so many different sites with so much to see--as well as building in non-birding time (my wife is good for a few hours a day, but not 10 hours a day of birds).
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 09:28 AM

There is a nice gravel road above Mindo that even the less dedicated might like, one of my favorites, called San Lorenzo Ridge Road (not weekends). We even saw club-winged manakin up there. It is pretty easy walking and you are almost at tree top level.

Another place that you might ask for a break is the restaurant at Mirador Rio Blanco to see the Guira Tanager at their feeders.

If you haven't this website, it is good for trip planning if you have a target list. Of course the birds aren't always where they should be, LOL.

http://birdsinecuador.com/en/
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 09:30 AM
RAC
Original Poster

I'm looking at the places Marcelo has recommended for birding, and it seems that Rio Silanche has more overlap with Central America than do the other locations--we've seen a fair number(but of course not all) of the highlight species there.

Are my perceptions accurate? We probably need to knock out one location to give ourselves (I.e. my wife)a break from the bird hiking, and this would seem to be the most likely candidate.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 10:48 AM

Silanche has a lot of lowland Choco species vs the other sites. It has a tower with good morning viewing, some fruit feeders and a trail.

Maybe you have more time in that habitat than his average client so there is overlap with your birdlist?

Some of the birds we saw at Silanche and not elsewhere included Tiny Hawk, Double-toothed Kite, Laughing Falcon, Dusky Pigeon, Rose-face Parrot, Stripe-throated Hermit, Long-tailed Sylph, Blue-chested Hummingbird, Purple-chested Hummingbird, Broad-billed Motmot, Orange-fronted Barbet, Choco Toucan, Golden-Olive Woodpecker,Cinnamon Woodpecker,Red-capped and White=bearded manakins, Tawny-crested tanager,Buff-rumped Warbler, Scarlet-rumped Cacique.

If it would help I can cut and paste the entire bird list from that trip (for the Silanche visit we used Julia).

If I haven't mentioned Mashpi that was a great day with Marcelo. It is along day, though.

I mentioned Los Bancos above, the other (endemic) that is easiest to see there is the Rufous-throated Tanager.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 12:14 PM
RAC
Original Poster

Is Mirador Rio Blanco the one on the road to Milpe and near the Umbrellabird reserve?
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 03:11 AM

RAC,

If you haven't already gotten a copy of " The Birds of Ecuador" by Ridgely and Greenfield, let me know and I will be glad to send you mine as a loaner.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 06:52 AM

It is in the town of (San Miguel de) Los Bancos.

It is 15 minutes from Mindo on the main road (Cacali-Independencia). If you look at this map in birdsinecuador.com, you will see it located not far from Milpe on the map on that page.

http://birdsinecuador.com/en/chapter...bird-sanctuary

Los Bancos is where you go if you find out the Mindo ATM doesn't like you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -