Mendoza to Salta hire car share Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody up for sharing a hire car north from Mendoza to Salta with myself and my partner? Stopping various places en-route over ~2weeks. We'd ask for a contribution to the cost but not much!

We're a 34yo English couple on a South America travel trip

Could be fun!
Otherwise if you guys have suggestions on where to find other like-minded people let me know.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 08:49 AM

Year ago the place to find fellow travellers was the South American Explorers Club which had clubhouses in places like Buenos Aires, Cusco, Lima, Quito etc. We spent a couple of years in total travelling in South America over various trips and were members and stayed at a few and it really was great resource. Sadly, the club folded a few years ago and I don't know of anything similar to replace it. Lonely Planet Thorntree was also a great resource but I am pretty sure that is no more either.

We did that trip few years ago by bus and just rented a car to do a coupe of circuits around Salta and the North West . Those circuits are covered in some detail in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/ As far as the route from Mendoza to Salt is concerned, we stopped at a few places but it was a long time ago and the only one I really recall was San Rafael, mainly because we were looking for a place to buy at the time and also for Canon de Atuel.

On one trip from San Martin to the South we met a Spanish /Italian couple in the rental place, got chatting and agreed to split the cost of the rental and ended up travelling with them for some weeks. It worked well for all.

If you are in Mendoza for awhile before leaving , it would be worth having a word with the office to see if they have any other people looking to share cost. Possibly unlikely, but you never know. This question is asked quite regularly on the Tripadvisor Argentina forum which get much more traffic than this one so it may be worth asking there.
good luck!
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Crellston! Really helpful replay and blog. We'll use it for sure