Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Machu Picchu - What kind of luggage works best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -

My husband and I are traveling to Peru in September. We aren't hiking the Inca Trail but spending time in the Sacred Valley, Cusco, and MP. Wondering what kind of luggage works best for a trip like this. Wondering if our rolling luggage would be ok or if we should look for more of a back-pack type luggage.

Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM

do a backpack with wheels best of both worlds

works great for me not expensive.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Good advice from qwo although I personally prefer a backpack and I do think you will struggle to find many places in Peru where the surfaces are good enough to roll your cases!(lots of cobblestones etc..
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM

When we took the train from Cuzco and stayed overnight at the village at the base of the MP mountain, we took just enough clothes and personal items for an overnight stay, packed in a canvas sack. We left our heavier stuff and suitcase back at our Cuzco hotel. Not a problem. You did know that the railway has been so heavily damaged by recent rains that it is inoperable? Best you check with Peruvian travel authorities. It will take months to repair, according to what I read recently.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I traveled to Peru & Chile last year with a standard lightweight suitcase (small wheels so I could roll it thru the airports) and a day pack. When I was in Peru I bought a few cloth duffle type bags in colorful fabrics which worked well for overnight trips and could be packed away. I always took taxis between airport and hotel and used the daypack or duffle for excursions, leaving the big suitcase in the hotel. As USNR mentioned hotels are used to holding luggage for you.

You may find that they only allow one piece of checked luggage free on internal flights and are strict on carryons, so don't try to use a larger rollon carryon bag. They weigh too much and hold too little.