Machu Picchu in Sept/Oct

Jan 26th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Machu Picchu in Sept/Oct

My friend and (2 women) I are planning a 10 day trip to Peru in late Sept or early Oct for 10 days including our travel days.
It's a 1st trip to Peru for both of us. We like nice hotels bit do not need 5 star ultra luxury. I do not like really small rooms and we need 2 beds.

So far, here is our plan with questions imbedded:
Day1-2: Fly to Lima, arrive in late evening and spend 2 nights - basing ourselves in Miraflores or Barranco. Visit Larco museum, sample some great restaurants - perhaps a food tour or day tour? Possibly we will use Hilton points. Looking for other hotel ideas too.

Day 3-4-5? Fly to Cusco and go to Sacred Valley : how many days and where to stay- Urubamba or Ollantaytambo? I love to visit ruins and marketplaces too. We will also visit the salt mines. Should we visit the Peruvian horse riding demo at Wayra ranch before going to the Sacred Valley? A friend really enjoyed it.

Day 5-6? Take the Vista
dome train to MP, afternoon visit to MP, stay 1 night ay El Mapi and visit MP in the early morning and then the train return to Sacred Valley in the afternoon.

6-7-8? Stay in Sacred Valley again 1 night or head straight to Cusco? How much time in Cusco and recommendations on where to stay? Thinking about JW Marriott. Explore Cusco includingg San Pedro market, Korikancha, La Concha museum.

8-9 fly to Juliaca to visit Lake Titicaca - or is it better to take the tourist bus with stops along the way to Puno. Spend one night and take a tour on the Lake. Is this all too touristy and with the Lake being at 14K altitude - is this going to be difficult to visit? We will be taking altitude pills,

Day 10 - fly to Lima - spend the day and catch a late night flight. Maybe have a day room in Lima - visit whatever we did not fit in at the beginning of our trip.
thanks in advance for your inputs!
Jan 27th, 2018, 10:26 AM

I would suggest leaving Lima until last. That way if there are any screw ups with your flights from Cusco to Lima because of weather etc. as sometimes happens, then at least you are in the right city for your flight home.

I prefer Barranco to Miraflores. We walked past the Hilton a few times but wasn’t that impressed. JW Marriott in Larcomar, Miraflores is in a stunning location but for luxury and ambience I would go for AboutThe House | Hotel B | Luxury Hotel | Lima, Peru in Barranco. 3B Barranco is another good and cheaper option. Right opposite my fav restaurant in Lima!

flying into Cusco and going straight to the Sacred Valley is a great idea as far as acclimatising to te altitude is concerned. Ollantaytambo is very pretty with amazing ruins. Urumbamba is home to more luxurious hotels but outside of those it is very much a working town with not a great deal of interest. Te ruins of Ollantaytambo are stunning and by staying there you can get to explore before te crowds arrive. The trains also leave for MP from there.

it is easy to arrange a tour of the Sacred Valley sights on your way back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco. Take around 4-6 hours and cost around $70 with Lima airport taxi transfers,taxi Jorge Chavez airport in lima, .

persoan
ly, with thetime you have, I wouldn’t bother with Titicaca. It is pretty touristy and at v. High altitude. I would suggested spending longer in Cusco and maybe throw in a day in Pisac, Sacsayhuaman etc.

if you do go to Titi, then I would go via Inka Express.

hope this helps a little.
Jan 28th, 2018, 11:16 AM

We really enjoyed Ollantaytambo -the ruins are great, as is just wandering the side streets (the market isn’t much). We very much enjoyed El Albuergue (hotel AND restaurant).
Jan 29th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Crellston and SF7307 for your helpful suggestions!
Jan 31st, 2018, 09:59 AM

I like Crellston's thoughts on leaving the Lima portion to last especially since domestic planes in Peru tend to be delayed frequently. It's good to have another day of insurance to be sure you get back in time from Puno for your international flight.

There's a lot of mixed thoughts on Puno by travelers so I would think about extending in Cusco/Sacred Valley (the altitude is about 1400 ft higher than Cusco so it's not too big of a factor). If you're set on getting to Puno I think flying is always better. InkaExpress takes all day with all stops. It's just a lot of transfer time if you're only planning to be at a destination a few days.

A few other thoughts --

Lima -
Hotels - There's lots of good, small boutique options throughout Miraflores & Barranco (Casa Antigua is a good one). If you want something larger, modern -- Sol de Oro & the Casa Andina Premium are good spots without going for super luxury.
Tours - Definitely go to Museo Larco (a good spot for dinner or lunch out in their gardens). Lima Gourmet has an amazing tasting tour to about 5 spots around Lima that's great for a first full night in Lima.

Cusco/Sacred Valley
Hotels - For Sacred Valley, I've had a lot of good experiences with InkaTerra Urbamba. Also Aranwa Sacred Valley has a really nice property. I'd personally get more time in Cusco and head right there from MP. There's just more to do away from your hotel/lodge in Cusco. For hotels in Cusco, check out El Mercado or Casona Antigua (good options compared to the monster JW Marriott, El Palaco del Inka, etc)
Tours - In Sacred Valley, I can't speak to the horse demonstration. Outside of the traditional tours, maybe a Pachamanca demonstration (sounds like you appreciate good food) and there's some good bike tours offered in the Sacred Valley to see the valley i a different way. In Cusco, spend time at San Pedro Market, taste food from the Andes, and be sure to see the Inca ruins that are away from the Plaza de Armas. One other thought -- there's an amazing baroque church tour from Cusco that takes you to 4 sites southeast of Lima.

Enjoy the experience...hope a bit of this helps you
Feb 1st, 2018, 10:11 PM

we enjoyed it
Feb 2nd, 2018, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bbult5 for the great suggestions - I will definitely explore these suggestions!
Feb 13th, 2018, 05:44 AM

I agree with Crellston, I think it's a good recommendation to leave Lima for the end of your trip because of delays, cancellations, etc. on internal flights.

My suggestions for hotels depend on your final choice. Staying in Barranco, Miraflores or San Isidro are the best options. In Miraflores a great option is Casa Andina Private Collection that has recommended Bblut5. It is located in a strategic location just 2 km from La Huaca Pucllana and the vast majority of attractions in the heart of Miraflores.

Barranco is a beautiful bohemian neighborhood that hosts a large number of affordable accommodations and backpackers, without doubt the best option is the one recommended by Crellston, Hotel B, a luxury hotel in a Belle Époque style mansion located very close to the Municipal Park of Barranco.

If you are looking for options similar to the Hilton Hotel, I suggest Sonesta Hotel El Olivar not only for its facilities or attention, but it is also very close to the Huaca Pucllana de Miraflores and relatively close to the Historic Center.

As essential visits, the Larco Museum (which you have said), the historical center, the convent of San Francisco and its catacombs, and of course, take a pisco at the historic Maury Hotel. To enjoy the Peruvian flag dish I recommend La Mar and El verídico de Fidel, both are in Miraflores, and are among the best places to taste ceviche in the whole city.

There are gastronomic activities such as those of Lima Gourmet and All Inca Trail that offer tours of restaurants, markets and classes to learn how to prepare ceviche. Other companies offer a tour of the street food, which I don't recommend, since you can try something in bad shape and ruin part of your trip. Another options are extreme sports activities such as paragliding or surfing. As you can see there are many alternatives in Lima.

I hope I helped you.
Feb 13th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Nicole B! Great ideas, and hotel suggestions - although paragliding is on my 'never do this list' and I gave up surfing when I was 13 and knocked myself in the head with my board. but I appreciate the alternative ideas! Whether we stay there or not, I am very excited about exploring the Barranco district.

We have decided to leave Lima for the end of our stay. I think being there a day before our flight home is a really good idea.
We are now thinking of replacing Lake Titicaca with Arequipa and Colca Canyon, adding an extra day to our trip for this or staying longer in the Sacred Valley and Cusco. Any thoughts on this?
Feb 14th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Good idea on Lima.. I think the Hilton will be fine for your one night. It is within a few blocks of some good restaurants (I like seafood, so Punto Azul at Calle San Martin 595). If you are foodies, Central is not too far and YES you need reservations which you can make online
Central

I often use the Metropolitano to get downtown (faster than a car although avoid commute), and you aren't too far from the stop at 28 de Julio. Peruvians still give up their seats to seniors!

Re Titicaa vs Arequipa and days, I like at least 8 days in Cusco/SV including the travel days, plus 1 day in LIma. So if you want to add another destination I would want to have two weeks. With Arequipa/Colca I think you need at least a day for Arequipa and two days/one night for Colca. If you book a tour from Arequipa, often you can get dropped at the Arequipa airport on the way back so can fly to Lima that afternoon. Getting from Cusco to Arequipa..do they have direct flights? If you have to be routed back via Lima I would write off one day as a travel day.
May 19th, 2018, 08:46 AM

It is a good idea to stay at the Hilton in Lima and then go to a good ceviche in Punto Azul, it is difficult to choose between Arequipa and Puno, so try to find good tours that you can do. Encerio, there are many beautiful places in Peru, Huaraz (my next trip) the trekking to Salkantay in Cusco is highly recommended and the "salkantay trekking" offers a very comfortable price. I found a great excursion to Salkantay with Lake Titicaca. in Salkantay Trek Machu. I'll do my tour in July Greetings

Search this Thread