Lima-Huacacina with a rental

Jun 26th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Lima-Huacacina with a rental

Hi All,

Any thoughts about renting a car for a round trip to Huacachina?
We're a family of four and it's just cheaper than bus..

Thanks~
Jun 26th, 2019, 02:20 PM

I wouldn’t do it. We have spent maybe 12 months travelling around Peru in various visits over the last ten years and have never been tempted to self drive. Driving standards are awful, traffic in and out of Lima is horrendous. I just don’t think it is worth the hassle.

Take a tour or go by bus. If you are heading down to Arequipa, the additional cost may not be that bad.
Jun 26th, 2019, 06:10 PM

I certainly wouldn't want to do, even if you rented from Miraflores rather than the airport, you still have to creep through Chorillos and Villa El Salvador before reaching the Panamericana Sur Highway. Is it really that much cheaper by the time you factor insurance and gas into the equation?
I assume you're looking directly on the bus agency website which offers one-way for about $8 per person, on Cruz del Sur?
Jun 26th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to do, even if you rented from Miraflores rather than the airport, you still have to creep through Chorillos and Villa El Salvador before reaching the Panamericana Sur Highway. Is it really that much cheaper by the time you factor insurance and gas into the equation?
I assume you're looking directly on the bus agency website which offers one-way for about $8 per person, on Cruz del Sur?
Yeah..I was looking at a couple of agencies and the prices were around $9.
We're staying in Barranco so it's pretty inconvenient getting to the bus terminal...then getting a taxi in Ica and the morning after do the same with an additional stop in Paracas...sounded like a hassle to me but the review I received made me think it over..
Jun 29th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by thestrider View Post
Yeah..I was looking at a couple of agencies and the prices were around $9.
We're staying in Barranco so it's pretty inconvenient getting to the bus terminal...then getting a taxi in Ica and the morning after do the same with an additional stop in Paracas...sounded like a hassle to me but the review I received made me think it over..
I think in real life you won't find the transfers that much of a hassle. In Ica, you'll find taxis outside the bus terminals, and they are safe. In Lima/Barranco, your lodging can help you with arranging or flagging the taxi to the terminal if you wish, or you can use one of the Taxi Aps or even Uber. Discuss the best option with your hotel when you arrive.
Jun 30th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb.
I'm returning to Peru after 22 years...We'll see how it changed...