Leftover pesos at our international airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should not post here anymore, after a useful thread I started on this subject was completely deleted, but I guess they've got me hooked. LOL!!!

Or maybe I'm hooked on trying to help people who come to my country and I'll go on doing it, in spite of the humiliations I sometimes have to suffer.

If a foreign tourist has any leftover pesos at the end of his/her visit to Argentina, it should, IN THEORY, be possible to change them back into the currency sold upon arrival. To be able to do that, you need the receipt proving you changed your currency into pesos. So, be sure to keep that piece of paper.

However, in the real world, the bank at the airport MAY refuse to take your pesos in exchange for your currency, even if you have that piece of paper.

Should that happen, tourists have a last chance to get rid of those pesos:

THE AIRPORT TAX FREE SHOP WILL TAKE YOUR PESOS, AT THE OFFICIAL RATE OF EXCHANGE, IN PAYMENT FOR THE ITEMS THEY SELL, WHICH ARE PRICED IN DOLLARS.

Or they did when I as there last, in late February. I'm confident they still do.

As usual, be warned that the best place to exchange currency at the airport is the "Banco de la Nación". Global Exchange is a rip-off, but I have seen about the same thing in other international airports.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:17 AM

Thank you, AVRooster for taking the time and trouble to re-post this useful information. You are too valuable a poster on Fodors to leave in high dudgeon - we do appreciate your input.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Great way to take a little of Argentina home with you by loading up on Malbec or Havanna alfajores. Good suggestion, Rooster.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Appreciation from two top posters! WOW! LOL!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM

The easiest way to locate a thread , is to click on the authors name.
Clicking on the authors name, you will find the thread was moved to the "Lounge".. de nada.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM

I am intrigued avrooster, of what heinous crime do you stand accused to have gotten yourself banned from "elswhere"? Also, why on earth did the moderators move your other thread to the lounge - it all seemed perfectly relevant and appropriate to travel in Argentina rather than amongst those often bizarre, posts in the Lounge. Do you get any sort of explanation from the moderators?
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Crellston!

As my thread which was sent to the "lounge" indicates, I feel I was banned for "telling it like it is" too often. I can explain further by e-mail.

One of the reasons THEY gave for banning me clearly included slander from posters with "commercial" interests which were affected by my "telling it like it is". See posts 5 and 8 in http://tinyurl.com/2jg5tt

This post will most likely be deleted, so read it quickly, Crellston. The thread from "elsewhere" linked above will most likely be deleted too.

No reason or explanation from the moderators for their actions, which is par for the course.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM

So the long is the Fodors "happy hunting ground," where old threads are buried. Interesting.Thanks for pointing in he right direction Scarlett.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:44 AM

avrooster- all your comments seemed pretty innoccuous to me (and indeed useful), especially when compared with say the outpouring on the Europe forum regarding pickpockets on the subject of Barcelona pickpockets etc. As for the reasons given on that other forum - words fail me! The taliban are less reactionary..
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Crellston. The other forum sometimes remind me of the Three Billygoats Gruff children's fable with AV as a gruff Billygoat attempting to cross the forum bridge guarded by a zealous troll intent on protecting it's territory.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM

Hmmm - AV as a gruff billy goat. I can see where you get your analogy!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM

Gruff ? sometimes,maybe. But NEVER a Billy Goat. LOL
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

My friends make fun of me!

Serves me right for "trying to help people who come to my country" as said in my above OP!

LOL!!!