Itinerary Suggestions-Chile

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 6 1/2 days in Santiago and surrounding areas and 7 1/2 days in Puerto Montt and surrounding areas. These are simply where our flights go but we are open to going anywhere. We were thinking about perhaps going to Valpariso and perhaps some other areas while in the Santiago area. Any other suggestions for that area and for any places to go from Puerto Montt? Should we try to get to Punta Arenas? Help please. Hotels? Places?
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM

We were in Chili and Argentina last year. We enjoyed pucon in chili and San Martin in Argentina. You can take a boat from Perto Montt to San Martin ( I think) We loved Torres del Paine. Hve fun.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Valparaiso is a great place to spend a day or two and just wander around the streets and walking the graffitti trail. There are some fantastic restaurants too. Some of the best we found in South America. Like the previous poster we too enjoyed Pucon and San Martin in Argentina was a great town (and seems to be the chocolate capital of Argentina). Lots to do in Pucon - skiing in season, hiking, bike rides and climbing the volcano! Spectacular scenery. The journey between the two places through the Monkey Puzzle forests is nice trip in itself.

Our blog includes a few photos of these areas (entries 77-82):

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...5860/tpod.html
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM

We spent about 12 days in Southern Chile in 2006 - if you are interested in food markets/restaurants then do not miss the Angelmo area in Puerto Montt - one of the most fascinating markets we've ever been to!

We also very much enjoyed the Villarica/Pucon area - an easy drive from Puerto Montt (we found all driving in Chile really easy - well, except perhaps finding the airport in Santiago but all big cities are like that when you drive in for the first time).

Here's a link to our blog - scroll down for the Puerto Montt pics........

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l..._south_/chile/

Re your question about getting to Punta Arenas - not unless you were going to Torres del Paine, I'd say.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Yes, I recommend taking the trip to Punta Arenas but I also encourage you to go all the way to Puerta Natales. Its a short flight from Puerto Montt to Arenas and then a stunning 3 hour bus ride to Natales. I just (yesterday) got back from Natales and stayed at the most wonderful bed and breakfast. Its really a small house (3 bedrooms) and I was the sole occupant. The owners took me on individual stunning rides throughout the Estancia they are priviliaged to use. I save the Torres del Paine from a distance and got a hands on feel for the Patagonia Climate. The B&B is called Borries House and is located just outside of Natales a $5 taxi ride and has views of the fjord and mountains. You can find more details at Estancia Travel.

Also, in Arenas I recommend Cabo de Hornos-- its a bit expensive but worth it for the views of the Strait alone.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM

OH and the website: www.estanciatravel.com