Help need with Argentina Travel

Dec 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Help need with Argentina Travel

We (2 of us) would like to visit Argentina and Patagonia this January. Here is the rough itinieary we have come up with + we need to consider the travel times. How much time should we include for the travel time?

1. Buenos Aires (2 days)
2. Iguazu Falls (1.5 days)
3. Bariloche (3 days)
4. El Calafate (3 days)
5. Torres Del Paine (2 days)
6. Ushuaia (2 days)

Considering we have limited time - we would like to fly but I looking at Aerolineas Argentinas - tickets are very expensive. For example from Iguazu Falls to Barloche is
$372 PP

1. Is this the cheapest way to fly? Are there any other airlines?
2. How is driving in Argentina? Is El Calafate to Ushuaia at a drivable distance?
3. Would you recommend going to Torres Del Paine in Chile? Is there a bus service from Argetina to chile?

Your help is greatnly appreciated
Dec 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM

We got buses or drove during our time in Argentina so I can't help with the flight question. The driving in Argentina is best described as varied with only about 30% of the roads being tarmac. We drove from San Martin de Los Andes through the seven lakes area to Bariloche. Only about 1/3rd of the road was tarmac, the rest was mud and gravel . Adding to the fun was the weather which was a mixture of rain, snow and fog. Challenging at the time but fun looking back! We drove along a section of Ruta 40 which I think is the same road which takes you from El Calafate Ushuaia. We were going to drive that route too but were advised that it was virtually impassable but that may have changed.
There are several bus services between Argentina. We took the easy and cheap option from Pucon to San Martin de Los Andes. There is a more scenic route through the lakes by boat and bus which is apparently very expensive. If you are feeling adventurous you can also go by horseback which takes about 5 days!

Personally, I think you are being a little ambitious in trying to fit too many locations in too short a time. The distances are vast and the airline system is not the most efficient in the world and if you allow approx. 1/2 a day for tranfer, check-in time etc. for each flight then that is eating into your holiday time quite a bit. I might be wrong but I think most flights will be routed through BA adding to the opportunities for delay. Depending on your final itinerary, it may make sense to factor in an overnight bus trip which could cut down on wasted travel time (and they are very comfortable).
Dec 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Would pare back and fly in the time you have.

www.argentinaforless.com

good sample routes sometimes can save...
Dec 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you qwovadis & crellston.

Yes..I think so too..flying would save me some time..I am looking at Aregenita air pass...may be it might work out a little cheaper. Hopefully I don't have to buy internatinal ticket through them to qualify for the domestic air pass.
Dec 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM

If you drive from El Calafate to Torres del Paine it will take you more than half a day just to get there. If you take the bus you will go to Puerto Natales first, adding more time. There are 2 tour companies which do day trips to TdP and you go on one day and return on another,but your time in the park will be very limited anyway.
Dec 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Buy a South American pass or Argentine Pass. Other countries in South America have them.
This will save you a lot of money.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you Eddwarm. I called Aerolíneas Argentinas to find out about the air pass to fly within Argentina and I was told that they do not have one country pass anymore unless I am flying to at least one destination outside Argentina.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Considering we don't have enough time left and considering the expense we are also exploring options to see Peru and Brazil instead of Argentina-Chile at this time.

Here is our revised rough itinieary for Perul and Brazil

Arrive in Lima
Cuzco (1.5 days)
Machu Pichu and Sacred Valley (2 days)
Amazon in Brazil (Manaus) (3 days)
Rio (3 days)

The question I have what would be the best way to travel from Cuzco to Amazon in Brazil (Manaus). Looking at flights there is transfer at Sao Paulo but one way fare is around $700

Any Ideas?
Dec 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Nick:

I have not been to South America yet, so I am following your thread out of curiosity and to help plan my own upcoming trip. I had planned to spend a mere 5 days in Peru to see Machu Picchu and was advised by friends who have been more than once that this is really pushing it because of the necessity to acclimate to the altitude. Your visit is even shorter. I'd like to hear what others have to say regarding this.
Dec 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Nick:

Actually, you may need to start a new thread with the revised countries you plan to visit. Otherwise, you may not get the help you need from those who have visited or are experts on these countries, rather than Argentina/Chile.