Search

Galapagos small cruise questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos small cruise questions

Hello all,

I am beginning to look into a birding tour being organized for August 2017 think it's 7 days on the boat.

The trek goes on a Catamaran Nemo III. total of 12 folks not counting crew and naturalist guide.
Has anyone had any experience on this vessel??
This is a once in a lifetime trip and I would appreciate anyone's experience and suggestions.

Thank you
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 06:56 AM

Although we didn't sail on that ship, we took a small ship cruise in the Galapagos last May.
Ships that hold 16 passengers are the most common because you must have a guide for every 16 passengers at uninhabited landing sites.
Our cruise (a Nature Workshop organized by Galapagos Travel on the Tip Top IV ) also had a 2nd guide, which we found invaluable.
The ship met our standard of "nice enough"; we don't require luxury.
Usually, we were anchored during the day, moving at night. Sometimes it was rocky enough to toss things around in the cabin, including us in our beds, but no one got seasick.
We chose an 11 day cruise to get to all of the islands with unique birdlife and chose May to he able to see mating dances if the waved albatross and blue footed boobie.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your info.
I have read some reviews but it's not clear to me what were the expectations of these folks....
If cruise ship and fussy turndown beds etc then no not the type of trip for those ideas.

I too, am on the adventurous side with the idea that there will be scrambling on rocks, a variety of sea conditions but some real beauty and introduction to a very special place.
I hope to hear from more who have made the trek.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Our cabin was tiny, but had adequate storage and the beds were comfy.
The food was very good, for which we were grateful. The dining room was attractive.
The lounge was big enough to seat all passengers, but wasn't overly comfortable.
On the upper deck, there were both covered and uncovered loungers.
The staff too very good care of the ship and us, although most didn't speak English.
We were off the ship to hike every morning at 6, which was great for beating the heat.
We snorkeled once or twice a day, which we loved. Did another hike or panga tour in the late afternoon.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM

I suspect that most of the 16 passenger and under ships are similar in the respect that these are active cruises, not fussy cruises. You are kept busy with hikes, snorkeling, panga rides, and have down time for naps (which we needed!) Our cruise last August had enormous cabins but we're booked into a more modest yacht in June to take advantage of the amazing itinerary.

We only used the lounge for the evening recap, otherwise we were in our cabins or up on the sundeck. The food was delicious and varied; fresh juices every morning and after every outing. Our crew visited fishermen along the way, bartering leftovers (very very good leftovers) for fresh seafood. Such a great memory; glad I'm returning to relive it!!

Have fun!