Ecuador Closing Borders

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecuador Closing Borders

Ecuador has suspended incoming passenger flights until April 5. Outgoing flights are not suspended. Also, disembarkation from cruise ships is prohibited

https://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/ecuad...el-5-de-abril/

II can't edit the title, but it really should read
Ecuador Suspending Incoming International Passenger Flights.

Not sure about land borders.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 03:13 AM

I have crossed a few land borders in Ecuador, to and from Peru and Colombia, and really would not want to get stuck in any of those border towns! Cruise ship suspensions I get, but I wonder about Galapagos cruises?
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE: As of Monday, 3/16/20, the Environmental Ministry of Ecuador has restricted all visitors to the Galapagos National Park and the Galapagos Marine Reserve. All visitor sites are closed, and all foreign visitors are leaving the Islands today. We recommend periodically checking the website for the US Embassy in Ecuador for travel restriction updates, as well as the Environmental Ministry’s website for updates specific to Galapagos and other parts of Ecuador, as the situation is fluid and changing rapidly.

Per The Galapagos Conservancy (galapagos.org)

ALL parks and reserves on the country are closed.

https://www.ambiente.gob.ec/minister...ia-en-el-pais/

The Embassy website says that land borders are also closed.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 18th, 2020 at 04:07 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb
Outgoing flights are not suspended
On paper, that's true. But if airlines can't bring passengers to the country, they suspend service and there's no way for anybody to leave. There simply are no outgoing flights. Peru shut down everything Monday night. Foreigners there now can't leave because there are no planes to take them home. Peru has even banned interdepartmental travel. If you're in Cusco, you're stuck there. I'm sure the same thing will happen when Costa Rica shuts down tonight. People won't be able to leave.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 12:55 PM

Friend stuck in Quito

I have a friend stuck in Quito and unable to get out . Is there anyone else there? I’m trying to get some contacts for her to chat with... she’s Australian.

please let me if anyone can help.
thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 02:05 PM

There isn’t a whole lot of activity on Fodors for South America but if you suggest that she goes to The Tripadvisor Ecuador forum and search for HLJHLJ or Azbucedora and send them a PM, they are very active there and may be able to help with suggestions even though I think they are US based.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Have they been in touch with their Embassy? I see there were a number of repatriation flights today, to Europe and FLL. TAME airlines has one tomorrow to FLL, but I don't know if they are eligible to get on it or how to arrange that. Other than having someone call TAME, or trying their online chat.
​.
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 02:58 PM

Thanks.. I’ve passed your suggestions on.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:12 PM

The mayor of Guayaquil had city trucks block its airport runway over the weekend to prevent the landing of an Iberia and KLM flight. The planes were flying in empty with just crew for the purpose of taking EU citizens home. Iberia diverted to Quito. The article in the NY Times below said KLM diverted, but it didn't specify where. This sounds pretty outrageous. Ecuador's government plans to take action against the city.

From the NY Times:

EU Asks Ecuador to Guarantee Airport Access After Runway Blocked With Trucks
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:21 PM

Trucks blocking runways, people ignoring requests to stay at home, ammunition sales rocketing in the USA,( according to The WSJ), rampant xenophobia everywhere - the world seems to be teetering on the edge of anarchy.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

That's crazy, Jeff.

I'm back to reading Spanish Language press. The Health minister says there is community spead in Pincincha and Guayquil.

https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/...contagiados-28