Search

Eating in BA

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating in BA

Hello all,

My family of 4, serious food-lovers all, have 6 days and nights to eat in BA. Can you recommend your favorite places? We eat and love everything, but prefer regional specialties whenever we can. We're staying in San Telmo, but will be visting all the neighborhoods routinely talked about in this forum.

Many thanks for your faves!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM

A quite popular place for "regional specialties" is "El Sanjuanino", near the corner of Callao and Posadas.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM

In San Telmo is one of my favorite Italian places.. Amici Miei , on Defensa, overlooking Dorrego Square.

Gee... trying to put a list together in my mind ..
In Recoleta ( where I live)

Croque Madame at the Decorative Arts Museum or on Callao
Rodi Bar on Vicente Lopez
Sanjuanino for empanadas although I like their eggs and french fries ( this is when you just have to have nothing but carbs and salt lol)
Celleto on Larrea
Melo on Pacheco de Melo
Erin on French
Sirop
Juana M .. on Carlos Pelegrini

Las Canitas
Novocento on Baez

Palermo
Cluny
Hermanns
Marks
Mott

My mind has just gone ... I eat out all the time and cannot remember names anymore lol
http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/ Use this website to look up the places I named and anything else that you hear about .. even in Spanish.. you can get an idea of what the place is like and info such as type of food and prices..
I also have Indian and Chinese and Japanese, but I think you won't be interested ..
Have fun ..
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM

My favorite one is closed right now, but I would recommend trying out one of the cities many restaurants with 'puertas cerradas' (closed doors). It's a movement that I've heard about in New York as well, but I'm a student and couldn't even begin to afford them there.

This NYTimes article has a bunch, but if you google around you'll find many more. I think it's a very cool part of the BA restaurant scene.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A9609C8B63
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

2 of those would be Casa Felix and Casa Saltshaker http://www.saltshaker.net/
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

For authentic argentinian pizza, go to Banchero o El Palacio de la Pizza, both on Corrientes Avenue.
For homemade pasta in a place that is not fancy but it's great, I would go to Pipo and order Spaghetti with pesto sauce.
For meats and specialty french fries (papas infladas) go to El Palacio de las Papas Fritas.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM

From what we have seen, most of the pasta here is homemade. . where is Pipo, Clau ?
I love a good pesto sauce ~
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Pipo is off Avenida Corrientes, close to the Obelisco. Pipo is kind of a hole in the wall, locals eat there, inexpensive, but the food is great (I lived in BA for the first 24 yrs of my life).

Bon apetit!
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Siga la Vaca is a fun all you can eat place on the water in Puerto Madero..good prices and drinks and desserts included.

Fervor is new on Posadas next to El Sanjuanino...amazing fish dishes

I second the vote for El Sanjuanino...i think i could eat only there for the rest of my life. Try the empanadas "carne cortada al cuchillo" which are bigger pieces of meat instead of minced and also try a stew called Locro...mmmmmm

oh and then buy a new belt
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Acabar in Palermo Hollywood is really fun too - lot of traditional homecooked options in a very funky space - on Honduras near Home Hotel
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Sanjuanino..try the stone pressed grilled chicken too.Delicious. Fervor and Sottovoce are around the corner for excellent upscale dining..
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Exactly.

Sottovoce offers great Italian cooking. http://www.sottovoceristorante.com.ar/en/sottovoce.php

Fervor specializes in grilled fish and meat.
http://www.fervorbrasas.com.ar/
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:38 AM

bookmarking
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Our favorite was Casa Cruz, Uriarte 1656, Palermo Soho, Phone: 11/4833-1112
Decor is modern, dark and stylish. But the food was great, innovative. Though I think it is one of the pricier restaurants in town.
My husband and I each had an appetizer (veal carpaccio with asparagus and watercress, blood sausage with scallops and microgreens with almonds) , main course (goat, rabbit), and dessert (Earl Grey souffle with pistachio ice cream). Plus, we ordered a bottle of wine (Callia Magna Syrah). The bill came to about US$100 (excluding tip). By US standards, this is cheap--a comparable meal at French Laundry in Napa would cost more than $200. Like French Laundry, portions were not huge.
We went early, as soon as it opened. When we left at 11 p.m., the place was packed, and it was a weeknight.
We also immensely enjoyed the informal, extremely inexpensive cafe Cumaná, Rodríguez Peña 1149, Recoleta, Phone: 11/4813 9207
The crowd was young and lively, like young professionals who had just gotten off from work or like university students. This was simple, but hearty and tasty local food, Argentine specialties. We had locro, empanadas, a big salad, beef and pumpkin stew (delicious), and a bottle of Malbec for US$21. Our waitress was also helpful and attentive, even though the place was packed.
I think you will be spoiled for choices, especially if you like beef. I normally never eat beef, but I gladly made an exception here.
Also, as we had a kitchen we enjoyed shopping for groceries in the supermarket. The cheese varieties were fantastic!
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM

I thought the food here - La Vineira de Gualterio Bolivar (Bolivar 864, San Telmo) was fabulous, 9 course tasting menu (I think is was $140AR pp w/out wine), with pared wines (we had 6 glasses each), the total bill was around $140.00 US dollars, our most expensive dinner, but worth every penny. Extremely creative with local Argentina flavor and nice presentation.

It's on my top ten meals list.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Another vote for Pippo (two locations, Paraná 356 and Montevideo 341, both in downtown). Butcher paper serves as placemats in this authentic, working man joint, and their "Vermicelli al Pesto y Tuco" is excellent.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Thank you, I am adding Pipo/Pippo to our list .. we are locals
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM

our experiences in BA were the following:

Las Nazaarenas, Reconquista 1132, across from the sheraton park...traditional meat menu and other things, great wines.

El Sanjuanino, in back of the Alvear palace hotel in recolleta, posadas, 1515...best empanadas in town--went twice for lunch....regional foods

restaurant ligure...old fashioned BA traditional restaurant...varied menu...great chateaubriand for 2...Juncal, 855

gran cafe tortoni, of course...avenue de mayo

Piegari, posadas 1042, next to the four seasons hotel...italian...very formal and very good

El Cuartito, talcahuano 937, barrio norte...best pizza in town...also a few other italian delights...unusual pizza, very filling

Carletto, in puerto madero este, olga cossettini 791...great location and delicious itlaian foods

todo mundol, next to the park in san telmo....fantastic steak sandwiches and a huge menu....entertaining decorations...

Blell cafe, paraguay 501, just down the hill from florida street....best breakfast pastry i had in paraguay....great lunch place too
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM

rhkkmk is a "fantastic" poster, but I believe "Blell cafe, paraguay 501, just down the hill from florida street" is most likely located in BA, not in Paraguay.

Again, just kidding. LOL!! Keep up the good work, rhkkmk!
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM

alberto, that would be paraguay street in your fair city...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -