Current Peru Weather Concerns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave this Thursday for 2 1/2 weeks in Peru. I have checked the current and extended weather forecasts and it is grim looking with rain every day (40-60% chance) going out 10 days. Yesterday we received an email from Peru Rail that said that due to the rain they will be only taking us part way from Machu Picchu to Cuzco by train and the rest of the way by bus. Reading between the lines, that would indicate a bad situation there.

Not only are we going to the usual sights, Sacred Valley, Cuzco, MP, but into the Amazon and the Colca Canyon. I am worried we won't either make it to MP or be able to see anything once we get there. i am particularly concerned about getting around in the jungle with it having been so wet.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone in Peru currently that can tell me just how it has been of late. Any suggestions for things to pack other than the obvious rain poncho? We are not hiking the Inca Trail and I feel those people out there doing that if it is as bad as it seems.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Here is a recent report..it is buried in the thread moaning about PeruRail, but is typical of this time of year. There must be a section of track that is subject to landslide.

" The train back was a bit tougher. We had other passengers AND a landslide, so our 1.5 hour ride turned into a 4 hour ride as we were sitting in the middle of nowhere Peru on a side track. That being said, our day at Machu picchu was right out of a National Geographic spread. It had rained torrentially before we got there and for 24 hours after we left. We arrived just in time for the proverbial "break in the clouds""

ANY time of year in Peru it is best to be flexible and not book your trip too tightly. EG, do not depend on making all of your connections, always best to have an overnight in Lima before the international flights.

If you booked your own PeruRail tickets you can change them in person 24 hours ahead for a small fee at the office. I did that when I went during the rainy season because the weather for the following day was better. This is another reason why I recommend booking from Ollantaytambo, since there are so many more daily trains. If you book from Cusco you basically have little choice.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM

"Yesterday we received an email from Peru Rail that said that due to the rain they will be only taking us part way from Machu Picchu to Cuzco by train and the rest of the way by bus."

I'd look on this as having a silver lining: This means they will take you as far as Ollantaytambo by train and will bus you back to Cusco. You should get back faster.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

When I booked our trip, I planned it so that we would be avoiding the rainy season so I was surprised that the reports were so bad. We are training from Ollantaytambo up to MP then taking the train from MP to Cusco. Like you said, maybe it will end up being for the best. I am just worried won't be able to get out and see things with such horrible weather.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Looking at what I could see for the next week, they don't project solid rain every day. If you want to play around with the official Peruvian forecasts, here is the website

http://www.senamhi.gob.pe/

Lluvia = rain

Ligera = light

Fuerte = heavy
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM

I was just there about 3 weeks ago. Hiked the one day IT to MP and then took the Perurail back to Ollantaytambo. The biggest thing is that the road to the rail station in Ollantay is being paved and travelers are being rerouted from the train to Ollantay over a path that takes at least 15 minutes to walk. Pack lightly! It was a bit sprinkly when we deboarded and walked back to Ollantay. Then went to a village and camped. Rain comes and it goes. Unless there is a landslide, it doesn't stop you. The train does not go back to Cusco. There is no train to Cusco. All the trains stop in Ollantay. You either take the Perurail "scheduled" bus back to Cusco or have private buses if you are with an operator.

The rain was not a big deal. It rains at night, sometimes during the day. Keep your poncho nearby. We also went to Colca. Saw the condors. Awesome.
Don't worry. The weather reports always predict rain during the rainy season. You'll have a blast!
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you JWitt. I feel better after reading your response. There is rain and then there is RAIN. I am okay with it as long as it is not so torrential we can't do things. Glad to hear you saw the condors. Their peak viewing time doesn't begin until May so we just hoped they didn't have a calendar.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM

I just returned from MP/Sacred Valley/Cusco last saturday (I'm the one who was stuck on the train due to the landslide--but we had a train party and saw it was just another Peru experience--met some great people).

The weather outlook for my trip (March 30-April 9) looked even more dismal than yours, but we ended up having no rain at all during the day, only at night. It was fabulous--sun and gorgeous clouds most of the time.

Please take heed of jwhitt's caution of the loooong walk to and from the train station in Ollantay. Gravel and at least 15 minutes--pack light.

Only when we were at the Inka Terra hotel in Machu Picchu Pueblo did we even use an umbrella or rain jacket--and then, only in the evening (and it was torrential--thus the landslide in the morning). However, our day at MP could not have been more gorgeous. http://snips.ly/MachuPichu and after the torrential rains that night, the morning turned gorgeous and the sunset over Cusco was stunning.

Remember "there is no bad weather, there are only bad clothes"

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I never used all the rain gear I had brought and I was glad just to keep it in my bag.

You will love Peru--the people and the history.

Have fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM

The rains are coming late this year, but should be largely over by the time you get there: definitely bring a lightweight waterproof and walking boots but you shouldn't need anything more than that: enjoy Peru!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Oh, and it was much warmer than the forecasts had forecast. I left my fleece in my bag--even at night. I always carry a trusty cashmere shawl to throw over anything I'm wearing and it was more than enough for the evening. People at MP were all in short sleeve t-shirts I was very comfortable in my light travel shirt and my photography vest--a bit warm actually, but I need to wear the vest for all my photo stuff. And there were no bugs at MP either. Never saw or felt even one. Keep positive and take sunscreen : )
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Was in Cuzco/Ollantaytambo/Machu Picchu three weeks ago. Rain forcast was same as yours but while there we had no rain and lots of sun in Cuzco. It rained half the time in Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu.
I was staying in Ollantaytambo so only had to take train from there to Machu Picchu and back. On the way back, folks I met staying in Cuzco caught a bus from Ollantaytambo to Cuzco - it seemed normal (no hassles). the train staff are very capable.
On Machu Picchu had to wear warm gear (not too heavy) and raincoat {pancho). When sun came out, I peeled down to my shirt (warm). Lots of rain later that day though.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM

RE bugs at MP, there are tiny (near invisible) sandflies. If you are not allergic you may think they aren't there. But they are (although they may be hiding in crevices in the rocks). Dress with lightweight long sleeves and pants, and use insecticide.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM

mlgb.....All I said is that there were no bugs when <b>I</b> was there. I can't say anything about when you were there. Everyone at the Inka Terra hotel was saying the same thing as did our guide who is at MP almost every day--no bugs. I am allergic to everything and have lived with north country New England with "no-see-ums" bites all my life. There were no bugs when we were there--tiny or otherwise. That being said, one shouldn't assume and should spray use serious bug spray--like rain, all things can change in a day.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I feel much better now. I was just thinking we were going to end up not seeing anything, huddled in our ponchos, drinking piscos (okay, that part is good and will still happen). And I totally forgot about sunscreen. I have major insect repellant (for the Amazon) but did not even think about sunscreen.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Perhaps you'd like to read the 137-post thread on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ed_Valley.html

Maybe there are certain weather conditions where they are less of a problem.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Geez, mlgb, I just made a statement about my personal experience and that of all the other visitors I talked with on the two days I was at Machu Picchu. No more, no less. I don't need to read the 137 posts on trip advisor as I am only talking about two days in April--when MP was apparently bug free. As I stated clearly above, cavegirl and others should apply bug spray well and be happy if the bugs decided to lay low.

cavegirl, you will have a great time regardless of weather. again, I only saw sun and clouds with rain at night. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best (bugs and rain : ) . You might want to be flexible with your time at MP in case you hit a bad day. You will love Peru.

Sun screen is a must. You are at high elevation and even on cloudy days can get a nasty burn.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM

And a broad brimmed hat for Machu Picchu--there is no relief from the sun.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM

I've been to MP now seven times, all work related, and I've seen the place in every season of the year. I'd say the truly risky months to visit are January and February because those are the rainiest months (and yet I've been there in January and had a blast). With late April, you're getting into the transition between rainy and dry seasons. I'd expect it to be okay.

As BostonHarbor suggests, it wouldn't hurt to apply a bug spray if you like, and yet I've never known MP to be a "buggy" place. Since BP has just returned, I'd trust her recommendations, since her timeframe is closest to yours. (BP, if you're talking about wearing a cashmere shawl, I take it you're female. )

You'll have a great trip! And be sure to report back when you return.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! I was going to take a heavier coat but am thinking now that I will just take a windbreaker and maybe a fleece jacket to wear underneath it.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM

I only mention the tripadvisor thread to those who might think that there are no bugs at MP. One person may or may not see them, but if there are 137 posts I can assure you they are there. You can scan the thread for other experiences nearer to your time frame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -