Columbia with kids

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Columbia with kids

Hello there, we are thinking of taking our 6year old and 3year old to Columbia in March.
Have not figured out an itinerary yet. Want to do a combination of beach and culture experience.
We plan to be there 6-7days in total.
Recommendations// suggestions/ warnings.. all welcomed..
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 10:55 AM

For culture my first choice would be Bogota, second Medellin. A third alternative, would be Cartegena, which, has the added attraction of having beaches close by (but not that great!) . My personal preference would be for Bogota + Cartagena but I don’t have kids to consider! Some photos of all three places on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/colombia/

A suggestion would be not to try and go to the beach in the time you have. They are not that great!

Warnings - none really. Colombia is nowhere near as dangerous as you may read, apart from the driving standards which are dire.

Recommendation - instead of the beach, consider a few days in somewhere like Jardin, Salento or Barichara which is where the real charm of Colombia lies. JMO
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:28 AM

I'm not a beach vacation person (anymore) having grown up in the Caribbean and South Florida, been there, done that. My understanding is that the best beaches in Colombia are on the offshore islands. Some may not be too far from Cartagena.

As much as I liked Jardin and the coffee triange as well as Medellin and Bogota, I don't know how it would go over with a 3 and 6 year old.

Hope someone with first hand experience will chime in.