Cash in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2023, 09:19 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash in Argentina

Hello all.

I'm planning an Antarctic cruise in December and I will have 2 days in Argentina before that. As we all know, cash isn't as commonly used as it was in the pre-covid days, so is the same true in Argentina? I will use cards as much as possible but is there any need to grab some cash at the ATM upon arrival?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 02:19 AM

Argentina operates dual fx rates. The unofficial/Blue Dollar/MEP rate is now more than double the official rate so it really does pay to seek out the unofficial rate. Fortunately for travellers, the major credit card providers like Visa and MasterCard now use the unofficial rate. How it is implanted depends on the individual bank systems. Some apply the better rate immediately, some process at the official rate and then do an adjustment a few days later. I would check with your own bank before leaving.

To be frank, I think you will be lucky to find a working ATM in Argentina . We have spent many months there over the years and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I found one that would give me cash. If you are lucky, the fees and rates used are horrendous.

You best bet is to take pristine USD bill and exchange what you think you may need at a cambio on arrival. Some places may accept USD cash but I wouldn't bank on it. It is likely you will only need cash pesos for v small purchases and taxis. Most places will accept cards.

PS Antartica - wow! Do come back and tell us all about it!
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 06:40 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Hi crellston and thanks for your info. OMG, Argentina is a very different world, isn't it? My first concern is paying for a taxi from the airport, after that I'll find a place to exchange cash. As you've probably guessed, this will be my first time in Argentina and hopefully not my last.

I have a question about the blue market. Is this illegal? I ran into a similar situation in Jamaica many years ago and we were told you could go to jail for exchanging on the street.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 07:00 AM

The Blue Market used to be illegal. I can recall on my first visit back in 2007, getting a contact from an Argentine friend and meeting them in the back of a coffee shop in BA to exchange wads of cash for our 3 month trip. Things change radically a year or so ago and it is endorsed by the government and it is the central bank that sanctioned the MEP rate for use by credit card companies.

There is a lot of political and economic upheaval going on at the moment. The latest was this week when a right winger did well in the primary elections . Apparently he favours a more to the dollarisation of the economy, presumably in much eh same way as Ecuador. I foresee a lot of pain for the economy as the currency is clearly severely overvalued.

You may find this article interesting https://www.reuters.com/markets/arge...ll-2023-08-14/

There is also a lot about the subject on the TA Argentine forum.

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 07:27 AM
P_M
Original Poster

That's all great information, thanks again!!
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 02:04 PM

Blue Money

Hello,

We were told to bring crisp $100 USDs and exchange them for blue money in Argentina. Is this correct ? Is this better than using a credit card?
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 06:19 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Please see the thread entitled "Cash in Argentina." As I type this, it's only 4 threads below yours.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 04:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Merged threads
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 01:02 PM

Great advice! Are there cambios at the airport?
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:27 PM

There are but I would not use them unless desperate. You will get double the rate from on- street cambistas in the city. Even the official cambio offices will offer much better rates than their airport counterparts.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 10:23 AM

Thank you!!