Cartagena + Tayrona National Park rec. please

Old Dec 28th, 2019, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Cartagena + Tayrona National Park rec. please

Good day-
We are a family of 4 visiting Colombia in Feb. 2020 for 7 days. Kids are 11 year old boys, we are staying in Cartagena at the Hilton Conrad on the water. Exploring/looking for recommendations for overnight trips from Cartagena. Can you stay out at the Rosario Islands? or is the day trip sufficient- any recommendations on getting out there- i'm looking at Tours By Locals but open to ideas.

The other big option it Tayrona N.P. - we do not speak Spanish and are not experienced HIkers- we live in the city-but are keen to see the described beauty of the N.P. Would we survive or is it only for experienced out doorsy type folks. Do we need a tour operator? Any that you would recommend?

For Cartagena any must do/ must see things- we obviously will visit the walled city a few days. Wondering about the National Aviary and mangroves canoeing. Thoughts/ experiences to share?

From Cold and Snowy New England all thoughts are welcome.
Thank you-
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:31 PM

We stayed in Cartagena for around ten days as part of a much longer trip around Colombia. We did plan to go to Tayrona but never got around to it! . It didn’t seem necessary to to use a guide or tour and I am sure you would survive it. When we looked at doing it, it involved a two hour bus journey plus a short trip on a motorbike taxi. I think an overnigh5btrip would be better but it may be very crowded in Feb.

We really enjoyed our time in the city just wandering around the old town - lots to see. We stayed in Getsemeni just outside the walls which is also worth a visit, especially at night when there is a great party atmosphere with lots of street entertainment ( and some great food). Some photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/colombia/ (5th post)

The next entry covers Mompox. It is a bit of a trek to get there but a nice taste of rural Colombia and plenty of wildlife out in the wetlands. Because of the time it takes to get there two nights would probably be better than one.