Cartagena: enough for 4-6 days?

Oct 22nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Cartagena: enough for 4-6 days?

We are looking at flying in from Chicago to Cartagena. One of us speaks fluent Spanish but we are trying to do an active and cultural trip (like to bike, hike, kayak). Also enjoy good nightlife/dining. Originally hoped to visit Santa Marta area but logistics don't seem to be working for a safe and fast trip (Marsol shuttle does not sound like a good option). Our other thought is to spend a few days in Cartagena and maybe 2-3 days at Isla Mucura. Or does anyone else have some quick side trips that we could take from Cartagena. We will only have 4-6 days in the country so travel options are limited. Our other thought is to do the short trip to Guatemala and head to Colombia when we have more time....any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Oct 25th, 2014, 03:48 AM

You gave me some suggestions - I'd love to travel there one day. Didn't know about Isla Mucura and Santa Marta.

I'd spend all those 4-6 days in Colombia. Probably most of the time in Cartagena.
Jan 3rd, 2015, 09:12 PM

KA, we will be visiting Cartagena on a cruise ship. Did you go? If so, can you post a brief trip report or share the highlights we should see in 4 hour tour? Thanks!
Jan 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM

We're in Cartagena now for our second visit. And we really enjoy just being here in this lovely place. But we're retired now and do long trips.

Cartagena is a lovely historic town with beautiful architecture and nice restaurants and lots of tourists. It's very hot. The day trips (to various islands and neaby beaches) that I've read about don't sound all
That appealing.

Colombia is a gorgeous country full of beautiful mountains, coffee plantations, and lovely small towns.
Great for hiking! So if I were you, I'd do that short trip to Guatemala now and save u some more days so you can really give Colombia its due at another time.

Search this Thread