Search

Car hire Peru

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2024, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car hire Peru

Is anyone able to help with actual experience of car hire in Peru? Looking to hire a car from Cusco in August to explore the sacred valley and if feedback good possibly driving on to Puno or Manu National Park, is it safe/sensible? I'm reading a mix of reports and keen to hear from people that have actually done it rather than just hearsay. Travelling as a family, one of our children suffers from travel sickness so car hire a much better option than public transport so we can stop as needed. We've driven extensively in many countries (most recently Borneo and Mexico) so poor road conditions are not my main concern. Hoping someone can help. Many thanks
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 12:26 AM

My advice is don't do it. My wife and I have spent a lot of time in Peru, probably in excess of a year, including a couple of months in the Sacred Valley whilst doing some voluntary work and in Cusco taking language lessons. I have driven all over the world but Peru is one place where I didn't . The road conditions leave a lot to be desired (nowhere near as good as Mexico and Borneo and driving standards are truly appalling. When we were there long term I did borrow a car on a few occasions but felt that it didn't really add much in terms of convenience. To rent one would not prove cost effective as you can hire a private car plus driver most likely for less than the cost of renting at least for getting around the Sacred Valley. Driving in and out of big cities like Cusco can be fraught with problems. It is not that uncommon for people to try and get in your car when stopped at junctions etc. and one wrong turn driving out of the city and you could find yourself in some dodgy areas.

Another issue with renting is where to park your car safely overnight with a reasonable expectation of it being there the next morning. You would need to find accommodation with secure parking - seeker said than done.

You could easily hire a private car and driver to explore the Sacred Valley. Typical costs for a day tour would be around $60-80 for a full day tour say Cusco to Ollantaytambo or Cusco Pisac. You would get the car and driver for the day and could pretty much go where you want stopping off at places of interest. I tend to use Taxidatum for tours and for airport transfers see https://taxidatum.com lots of info with prices on that site or just email for quotes for anything else. Alternatively you can book cars and drivers through your accommodation, it is very common place.

Driving on to Puno or especially Manu is fraught with issue and involves some very long drives. Manu would be better done by air and Puno Cusco by air or by tour bus or the train.

here is a link to our blog the second entry of which describes a day out in the Sacred Valley . https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/

Essentially, exploring the sacred valley with a car and driver is by far the best and most enjoyable way. Longer distances, fly or train. For a child that suffers with travel sickness long distance bus journeys are probably a no no. But the bus system in Peru is really very good. the better companies like Cruz del Sur offer lie flat beds, toilets etc on longer trips and overhang journeys. The tour bus ride from Cusco to Puno takes around ten hours but there are maybe 5 stops at sights along the way including lunch so it is broken up into bite sized chunks.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, do please ask.

Old Jan 14th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

That's a great help thank you for the reply and advise, much appreciated